ClubAdventist is back!

Billy Graham

phkrause

• Members

Billy Graham, evangelist pastor and counselor to presidents, dead at age 99

The Rev. Billy Graham, the charismatic North Carolina pastor who took his evangelizing crusades around the country and the globe, died on Wednesday morning, according to officials of his organization. He was 99 years old.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/billy-graham-america-s-pastor-dead-age-99-n701276

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

53 minutes ago, phkrause said:

Billy Graham, evangelist pastor and counselor to presidents, dead at age 99

The Rev. Billy Graham, the charismatic North Carolina pastor who took his evangelizing crusades around the country and the globe, died on Wednesday morning, according to officials of his organization. He was 99 years old.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/billy-graham-america-s-pastor-dead-age-99-n701276

Although in the past number of years I have spent little time watching and listening to evangelist Billy Graham, my early Christian experience was largely instrumental in accepting Jesus as Lord.  I feel as if I've lost a best friend and look forward to meeting him in the Kingdom of Heaven. May he rest in peace.

God is Love!~Jesus saves!  :prayer:;(

Lift Jesus up!!

• Moderators

I have admired him. I remember when as a child and visiting family in California he was holding meetings there and we went a couple of times. Then watching him on TV over the years; reading how he grew and felt that he had been born again as he accepted a more moderate form of Christianity in about the 1970s or early 80s. I was in San Antonio for Flight Nurse school as he was speaking there in 1997 and went to see him speak again. I too feel like I lost a friend and look forward to meeting him in heaven.

• Like 2

Over the years, many Seventh-day Adventists have gifted Billy Graham with copies of Ellen G. White’s books. He told one Adventist lady that he had a whole shelf full of her books. Another Adventist reported that when asked about the Sabbath, Graham said he felt it would limit his ministry if he embraced the Sabbath.

I have wondered what impact Graham might have had if he had accepted and preached the Sabbath. But we don't know what it was that God called him to do. Maybe Graham was wary of falling under the control of the Adventist Church's overly hierarchical authority structure. I know the Lord will make every effort to find a way for him to be in Heaven.

I think his son, Franklin, is making a more determined effort to make a difference in the issues of this world, even if it does make him a political partisan. I would rather be like Franklin.

• Moderators

Right now the obituary section looks especially sad with Billy's name for the other notable figures and Del for Adventists.  To see both names together here gives an extra sad feeling.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ron Lambert said:

Over the years, many Seventh-day Adventists have gifted Billy Graham with copies of Ellen G. White’s books. He told one Adventist lady that he had a whole shelf full of her books. Another Adventist reported that when asked about the Sabbath, Graham said he felt it would limit his ministry if he embraced the Sabbath.

I have wondered what impact Graham might have had if he had accepted and preached the Sabbath. But we don't know what it was that God called him to do. Maybe Graham was wary of falling under the control of the Adventist Church's overly hierarchical authority structure. I know the Lord will make every effort to find a way for him to be in Heaven.

I imagine Billy Graham would have been quite the "catch" evangelistically speaking for SDAs, and while he was given EGW books and was well aware of Adventist teaching, he stuck to just presenting Jesus to the world. Perhaps that was just his assigned duty as I realize that anyone who follows Jesus will be guided in their life path. We do not know what was in his heart. God alone will judge that. I have heard some Adventist pastors tell of being told to quit talking about Jesus so much! We need to hear it even more in this church.

I watched his grandson on the news tonight tell how Billy Graham did not even like being told he was humble. He seemed to keep a very real perspective of his self. He was quoted as saying, "God is God, and I am not."

We, as Adventists, also have a very favorable view of Martin Luther and any number of other reformers who also never kept the Sabbath. Because Billy Graham was not known to outwardly keep the Sabbath doesn't mean he did not respect it.

While I disagree with many people on many things, judging someone's future relative to being in heaven or not  is something I try very hard not to do, even if the devil wants everyone to get into the business of judging. I have found some who I thought really wrong and for some reason they come out really right. There have been others I very much respected their Christian witness and saw  them do things that astonished me for how wrong it was. I guess looking at what others do is time spent contemplating someone else other than Jesus. Billy Graham seems to have figured that one out a long time ago.

• Like 2

>>>Texts in blue type are quotes<<<

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

--Shakespeare from Hamlet

Bill Liversidge Seminars

The Emergent Church and the Invasion of Spiritualism

1 hour ago, Kevin H said:

To see both names together here gives an extra sad feeling.

Yep, not many people still around who I have been aware of pretty much my entire conscious life. Almost as "permanent" as a parent of which I have neither of them still. Will have to be a project to see if I can remember anyone else I knew from the 50s (other than David and Julie Eisenhower!).

Bill Liversidge Seminars

I recall Ellen G. White's statement: "Many will be laid away to sleep before the fiery ordeal of the time of trouble shall come upon our world." (Counsels on Health p. 375) We may be nearing that time of fiery ordeal, when we see some of these elderly champions laid to rest.

• Like 2

Said to be Billy Grahams last message:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4TMuee7Ir8

Bill Liversidge Seminars