ClubAdventist is back!

Stories from Sunnyside

james423

• Moderators

Currently, I am reading Stories from Sunnyside, a 300-page book on Mrs. White's stay in Australia.  Marian De Berg, the author, worked at the Australian White Estate branch office for 29 years and had a great deal of pleasure in collecting these stories.

While you probably know of some of the hardships Ellen White faced in travel, this book really details more journeys than I knew about that Ellen White shouldn't have taken (from a human standpoint), talks she never should have given (physical weakness), and other challenges Ellen White had to meet  down under.

The development of Avondale as an Adventist center for higher learning was most interesting. Some of the ways Ellen White pushed to eventually save money involved altering building plans to put a second story on a building at nearly the last minute (more room under that roof). She also deeply regretted the length of time it took to get a proper campus church building because meeting in rooms where furniture and other were stacked around the walls and where bugs abounded that worshipers could take home in their clothing didn't seem too spiritual to her.

If I keep going, you won't have to read the book so I'll just say that the half of the book read thus far has contributed much to my understanding of the beginnings of the Australian work. It also added to my appreciation of the Australian workers I worked alongside in Africa.

James Brenneman