ClubAdventist is back!

God made us to respond

Gail

• Administrators

I would like to share something that doesn't happen enough, but did the other day.

I was thinking of the evidences of love there are in the world. Now I may "see" God's love in nature or situations more than many. This time I was particularly thinking of how animals respond to love. From there I segued to thinking how love will cause a HUMAN heart to respond out of a bad place.

The Bible declares that God is love. How does this fact (I believe it to be fact) connect God with His created beings?

To me it is saying that we have been born with the capability AND a need/desire to respond to love. Love, and God who IS love. We have something in us that responds to the love and compassion we recognise in others. We recognise compassion and admiration that animals display. And we respond as our hearts are touched: we cry at movies and melt at our children's bobos.

In the midst of this pondering the penny-dropping thought was that this concept trumps a Darwinian evolution scenario. Why and how? That can be discussed

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

I am not sure from your brief sentences, Gail, how love trumps evolution? Is the suggestion that evolution rules out any progress in feelings or emotion through out time?

:thinking:

• Like 1

• Administrators

It is the idea that it is the strongest, as in physically strong, that win out. Love and compassion values the weak and unfortunate.

When I think of "only the fittest survive," it brings to mind Hitler and Stalin's regimes. I have heard it said that Hitler was influenced by Darwinian thoughts. 

While it is true that there's a LOT of violence in the natural world, just as humans can and do very naturally behave brutally against each other.

But then- there are the exceptions to that. And when examples of kindness occur, we are moved.

• Like 2

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• 1 year later...
On 3/19/2018 at 7:57 AM, Gail said:

It is the idea that it is the strongest, as in physically strong, that win out. Love and compassion values the weak and unfortunate.

When I think of "only the fittest survive," it brings to mind Hitler and Stalin's regimes. I have heard it said that Hitler was influenced by Darwinian thoughts. 

While it is true that there's a LOT of violence in the natural world, just as humans can and do very naturally behave brutally against each other.

But then- there are the exceptions to that. And when examples of kindness occur, we are moved.

Another way that the biblical "love" theme trumps evolution is in how it explains the evil, the depravity, the lack of love that we see around us. If humanity was made for a perfect love environment, and fell through disobedience, then there is an awesome hope in the promise of redemption and restoration -- in a God who still represents that perfect love.