ClubAdventist is back!

The fruit of the vine

Nan

• Moderators

Today I read the story of the announcement of Samson's impending arrival in Judges, and the instruction that his mother was not only to avoid strong drink but she was also to keep away from everything grown on the vine.   In contrast to this,  Jesus will celebrate in heaven with us by tasting again of the juice of the fruit of the vine.    My mind wonders if there is any connection between these things....telling an expectant mother to stay away from grapes, which I would have considered good for pregnant women, and the later symbolism the fruit of the vine assumed.  

• Like 1

NAN

the KING JAMES BIBLE says  in Chapter 13 verse 7 say not to drink wine and strong drink====

when the bible talks about the fruit of the vine===it means juice not any fermentation 

i hope this helps

dgrimm60

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Thanks Doug but 13;14 (ASV) says she may not eat anything that cometh of the vine....NIV says much the same, I have not looked at other versions but could

In Numbers 6 where it describes the Nazarite vow it specifies that a person who takes the vow will not eat anything produced by the grapevine, not even seeds or skins.

The Nazarite vow was a special vow that wasn't normally required for people following God's Law of Moses.  It was for people who wanted to do something extra to set themselves apart for God for a time. 

Samson was set apart by God for a special role, starting before he was born.  His parents were instructed that he should follow requirements that were similar to the requirements for a Nazarite vow -- no cutting of the hair, eating nothing from the grapevine.

I believe Jesus made wine at the wedding feast of Cana for people who were already intoxicated.  I don't believe Jesus (and His Father) were against having a few drinks at a party; they were against people that were habitual drunks.  Not all people who have an occasional beer or glass of wine are habitual drunks.  The OT is full of examples of people who were in high spirits from drinking wine and feasting.