ClubAdventist is back!

Church Unity

Dr. Shane

What does church unity mean to you?

For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.(1 Cor. 12:12)

That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another. And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it. (1 Cor. 12:25, 26)

Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one (John 17:20-22)

I Therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one baptism, One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all. (Eph.4:1-6)

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• 2 weeks later...

it is not uniformity... and it cannot be forced.... I think most people are afraid of the ramifications of what it really does mean...

I think it is a variety of things.

Quote:

Church unity means submitting to the authority of the General Conference Session

Unless the GC Session requires me to violate the law of God, I do believe I should submit to it, even if I don't agree. That is part of church unity. If I am not willing to submit, I should leave the church.

Quote:

Church unity means that members do not gossip about each other.

Gossip is always wrong so this is a no-brainer.

Quote:

Church unity means agreeing on fundamental doctrines.

At most, the 28 fundamental beliefs and at least our baptismal vows.

Quote:

Church unity is more important than individual preferences.

Absolutely. The church is a "WE" organization not a "ME" organization. Not my way but our way.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Acts 1:14 All these with one accord devoted themselves to prayer, together with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers.

Herein is unity: devoting ourselves in one accord to a common goal--that goal, serving Christ the Lord.