ClubAdventist is back!

Anointing with the Holy Spirit

8thdaypriest

WHO does the anointing?

Does anointing "with the Holy Spirit" mean that the Holy Spirit (as a third divine personality) does the anointing?  Does it mean the Holy Spirit (as a third divine personality) is sharing His power, or acting through the anointed one?  

"God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him."(Acts 10:38)

In this verse "God" does the anointing.  So it depends upon your understanding of "God".   Jesus said, 

"The Spirit of the LORD is upon Me, Because He has anointed Me (Luke 4:18)    "He" - the LORD, has anointed Me.   The LORD does the anointing.  

Jesus said, "The Father who dwells in me, does the works" (John 14:10).  In this verse,  the Father Himself dwells IN Jesus, and does the miracles THROUGH Jesus.   Which seems to indicate that "the Spirit" with which Jesus was anointed, was "the Spirit OF God the Father".  

Jesus said,  "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him;  (John 6:44).   Jesus does not say that the Father draws through the agency of a THIRD divine personal being.  Jesus just says "the Father . . . draws".   The Father is the actor - who does the drawing. 

Interesting that "the Father" draws men to Christ, who is then the only way to the Father.   No one is described as coming TO the Holy Spirit.   We come TO the Father, THROUGH Jesus Christ.  I see only TWO personal beings here.  

2 Corinthians 1:21 "Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and has anointed us is God" .   You understanding of this verse will depend upon your prior understanding of who "God" is.  

WHO baptizes "with" the Holy Spirit?  Answer:  Jesus glorified.    Is this not the same as anointing WITH the Holy Spirit?  

Matthew 3:11 "I baptize you with water, for repentance, but the one coming after me is more powerful than I am – I am not worthy to carry his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire."

Mark 1:8 "I indeed baptized you with water, but He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit." 

Luke 3:16 "One mightier than I is coming, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to loose. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire."

John 1:33 "I did not know Him, but He who sent me to baptize with water said to me,`Upon whom you see the Spirit descending, and remaining on Him, this is He who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.'" 

THE SEAL

John 6:27 "Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him." 

God the Father set His seal.  What is the Father's "seal"?   Answer:  the Holy Spirit.  The Father "set His seal" on His Son, at the baptism.  He poured His Spirit upon His Son, just as prophets anciently anointed priests and kings - with oil.  

Jesus was sealed BY His Father, WITH the Spirit.   And we - having believed are also sealed WITH the Holy Spirit.  The passage does not say that we are sealed BY the Holy Spirit.  

Ephesians 1:13 "In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed WITH the Holy Spirit of promise,"

8thdaypriest

• 1 month later...

Yes Wanderer,

You are aware that I believe the "comforter" that God the Father would send, is Christ glorified.  

It is HIS spirit - Christ's spirit - which the Father would send.  

Galatians 4:6 And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, "Abba, Father!" (NKJ)

1 Corinthians 15:45 Thus it is written, "The first man, Adam, became a living being"; the last Adam became a life-giving spirit." (the Spirit Comforter always with us)

8thdaypriest

"And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever" (John 14:16)

[Jesus said] "lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen. (Matt. 28:20)

Equivalent statements, or just coincidence?

• Like 2

On 9/25/2018 at 10:12 PM, JoeMo said:

"And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever" (John 14:16)

[Jesus said] "lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen. (Matt. 28:20)

Equivalent statements, or just coincidence?

Jesus spoke of His future glorified SELF in third person on more than one occasion - calling himself "He".  

He did this describing His glorious return.  (Ref: Mat. 16:27, 25:31; Mk 8:38, 9:31;  Lk 9:26, Lk 18:8;  Jn 6:62.)

Let’s fill in the rest of Jesus statement to his disciples.

John 14:15-20 “If you love me, keep my commands. And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another advocate [helper - comforter - counselor] to help you and be with you forever – the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in youI will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.  He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me.  And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him (V.23) “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him” (NIV).        

The presence and power of the glorified Christ - with them and in them, would prove the truth of all that the man Christ Jesus had said.  The future glorified Christ would glorify the man Jesus.  

2.  The Father also, would “come to” the one who loved Jesus.  
          Jesus and His Father would make their home with the one who loves Jesus.  

John echoed this statement when he wrote, “We abide in the Son and in the Father” (1Jn 2:24). “And truly our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ” (1Jn 1:3).  Conversely, Jesus said “He who hates Me hates My Father also” (Jn 15:23-24).  

Does this suggest the Spirit to come, would be an entirely different being from the Son of God?  A third divine being?  For me it does not. John does not mention any fellowship with the Spirit, or any hatred of a third divine being.

8thdaypriest