ClubAdventist is back!

The Cost of One Soul

pierrepaul

Recent church political developments got me thinking. How should we spend tithe funds? One of the ideas that seems to be coming up is that North American tithe ought to stay in North America for the benefit of the North American mission field. Let's perform a thought experiment. Let's assume that there is a correlation between SdA church membership and "being saved". Let's therefore assume that gaining additional SdA members is a key objective of our evangelism and the "great commission". Let's assume that to gain one additional North American SdA member costs $x in tithe resources. Let's assume that to gain one additional African SdA member only costs $y in tithe resources (where x>y). Is it right to "waste" tithe dollars in North America where we could win more souls for the same money in Africa? Is it right to North American SdAs to value the souls of those close to them more than souls of those in far off countries? [Note: I'm not considering the subsidiary question that a new North American member will contribute greater tithe than will a new African member, and so therefore by converting a wealthy North American perhaps we might win an even greater number of African souls].

Is it right to be "selfish" in our concern for others' souls. For example, the destiny of my two children is of far greater importance to me than that of 100,000 people half way around the world. Is this attitude even Christian?

As a secondary question, what justice is there in God's universe if one's eternal destiny is dependent upon what some fallible human being does or does not do? Is there any justice if eternal souls are really won or lost based on where SdA General Conference administrators choose to allocate resources? But if how we allocate resources does not affect the eternal destiny of souls, does it even matter what we do?

These are my thoughts this afternoon.

God never said "Thou shalt not think".

• Members

My question to your post is, what is the tithe money for? Is it not for paying the pastors? At least that's what I've always understood!!

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• 3 weeks later...

Tithe does not go to "missions", however mission offerings are shared throughout the world, I believe.  

A lot of our missions are not paid for, they are voluntary by the laity - witnessing,   The days of more money more baptisms do not hold up.

A member in our church says the church is not asleep it is in a coma!   Think about that.

I would like to see a breakdown of where tithe money gets spent. I suspicion it is partially used to fund political agendas of some of the "leadership."

As far as mission funding, I read an interesting statistic recently. Seems that back around 1900AD, for every $10 given in tithe, $6 was given in mission funding. Today, it was reported, that figure has dropped to 28¢. As my church's treasurer, I have no problem believing it.

I also recently posted an article regarding a member in the Oregon conference who sent his/her tithe to the GC. The Oregon conference demanded the GC return it to them! So, unless you need tax receipts, do it "anonymously" if you go that way!

The "coma" condition may be a bit generous. That suggests there is a little bit of life.

>>>Texts in blue type are quotes<<<

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

--Shakespeare from Hamlet

Bill Liversidge Seminars

The Emergent Church and the Invasion of Spiritualism

• 5 months later...
On 10/18/2018 at 3:21 PM, pierrepaul said:

Recent church political developments got me thinking. How should we spend tithe funds? One of the ideas that seems to be coming up is that North American tithe ought to stay in North America for the benefit of the North American mission field. Let's perform a thought experiment. Let's assume that there is a correlation between SdA church membership and "being saved". Let's therefore assume that gaining additional SdA members is a key objective of our evangelism and the "great commission". Let's assume that to gain one additional North American SdA member costs $x in tithe resources. Let's assume that to gain one additional African SdA member only costs $y in tithe resources (where x>y). Is it right to "waste" tithe dollars in North America where we could win more souls for the same money in Africa? Is it right to North American SdAs to value the souls of those close to them more than souls of those in far off countries? [Note: I'm not considering the subsidiary question that a new North American member will contribute greater tithe than will a new African member, and so therefore by converting a wealthy North American perhaps we might win an even greater number of African souls].

Is it right to be "selfish" in our concern for others' souls. For example, the destiny of my two children is of far greater importance to me than that of 100,000 people half way around the world. Is this attitude even Christian?

As a secondary question, what justice is there in God's universe if one's eternal destiny is dependent upon what some fallible human being does or does not do? Is there any justice if eternal souls are really won or lost based on where SdA General Conference administrators choose to allocate resources? But if how we allocate resources does not affect the eternal destiny of souls, does it even matter what we do?

These are my thoughts this afternoon.

You ask some thought-provoking questions, some of which rather obviously belie your assumptions. I don't believe that God has made us ultimately responsible for anyone's salvation, but neither has He suggested that what we do makes no difference. That apparent contradiction is just the greatness of our God. What matters is that we do what we can, by His grace, to help others, and thus develop a character after His likeness. Needless to say, the selfishness that you describe has no place.

IMHO, the idea that tithe goes to pay pastors is a church construct.  Who says that the "warehouse" mentioned is collectively pastors and Conference Leaders' wallets?

I manage my own tithes and offerings so I do know where my money is going.

I've read that more than 80% of SDA mission money goes to missions and evangelism in places where Christianity is already the dominant religion; and only 20% goes to places in the 10-40 window.  So it appears to me that we SDA's tend to spend our mission money stealing sheep to make them Adventists rather than bringing Christ to people who have never heard of Him and probably need Him as much or more than us believers (no denomination implied).  I'd rather spend my mission offerings bringing those totally ignorant of Christ  to Him than bringing Catholics, Methodists and Baptists to Adventism.

That being said, I must admit that the numbers of Americans and Europeans that have never heard of Christ is rapidly increasing.  

4 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

Colonialism and religious imperialism is often done under the guise of "missionary" work, and it is the right thing to do to question about where the tithe is going and why. When I see "certain" leaders standing up and threatening others who dont agree with him to "with hold" tithe money; as if it was his money, all I see is a religious bully stealing money from the church for his own agenda, and that of his cohorts. Trophy baptisms abound.

You make a good point. Concern for souls and trophy baptisms are two very different things, although only God can read the motives of individuals. It may be right to question the use of tithe funds, but withholding them (or threatening to do so) is a very serious matter. I'm not going to say that it would be wrong to do so under absolutely any circumstances, as if to tell other people their duty before God, but I'd not want to take such a decision lightly, myself.

23 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

Is that "your" money?

No; but it's not the SDA church's money either.  It's God's money. And I feel it is my responsibility to give it wherever I think it is needed the most.  That is not always the pockets of SDA employees. You can follow your own conscience.  Please allow me the right to follow mine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JoeMo said:

No; but it's not the SDA church's money either.  It's God's money. And I feel it is my responsibility to give it wherever I think it is needed the most.  That is not always the pockets of SDA employees. You can follow your own conscience.  Please allow me the right to follow mine.

The right of conscience is inviolable indeed. This does not preclude the possibility of educating each other, if we have any insights into God's wishes or requirements.

4 minutes ago, R. G. White said:

The right of conscience is inviolable indeed. This does not preclude the possibility of educating each other, if we have any insights into God's wishes or requirements.

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you." (Matt. 28:19-20)

Some people may have other priorities.  This is mine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 11/2/2018 at 9:10 PM, Ellen said:

Tithe does not go to "missions", however mission offerings are shared throughout the world, I believe.  

A lot of our missions are not paid for, they are voluntary by the laity - witnessing,   The days of more money more baptisms do not hold up.

A member in our church says the church is not asleep it is in a coma!   Think about that.

check out the Gospel Outreach organization.  Such amazing miracles are happening accompanying the preaching of the Gospel in the 10/40 window. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2019 at 1:10 AM, The Wanderer said:

what denomination is that? It seems the web site is hiding it.

Gospel Outreach is a supporting ministry of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.

1 hour ago, R. G. White said:

Gospel Outreach is a supporting ministry of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.

Do you know if they ever work with Adventist Frontier Missions (AFM)? I am a supporter of their ministry in many of the same countries.

1 minute ago, JoeMo said:

Do you know if they ever work with Adventist Frontier Missions (AFM)? I am a supporter of their ministry in many of the same countries.

I don't know enough about their ministry to be aware of any connection between the two organisations. However, given their similar aims and loyalty to the church, it would not surprise me to see them coordinating in some way.