ClubAdventist is back!

Clergy Housing Tax Exemption Case Heard by Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals

Stan

The Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals heard oral arguments this week in Gaylor v. Peecher, a case that challenges the constitutionality of tax-exempt housing for clergy. Under 25 U.S.C. § 107(2), a pastor may receive a payment separate from taxable salary to pay for housing-related expenses including rent, mortgages and utility services. The post Clergy Housing Tax Exemption Case Heard by Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals appeared first on ReligiousLiberty.TV - Celebrating Liberty of Conscience.

ReligiousLiberty-Rltv?d=yIl2AUoC8zA ReligiousLiberty-Rltv?d=qj6IDK7rITs
bIT9pG_QmA8

View the full article

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

• Moderators

Because that is how the law was written.  It should be noted that there are others who also get a tax free housing allowance.  For 18 years, I received such which was not a clergy exemption.

It should also be noted that as the law was written, as applied to clergy, it was limited and some clergy were not eligible for that exemption.  At another time, for 20 years, as a clergy person, I was not eligible for that clergy exemption.

By the way, I do not get such an exemption now, even though I do function in some resects as a clergy person.

Gregory

• Members

Legal battle continues over religious leader housing tax break

(RNS) — A federal court heard oral arguments this week on whether a longstanding housing tax break for clergy called a “parsonage allowance exclusion” is constitutional, setting the stage for a clash over competing claims of religious privilege and religious discrimination.

https://pantheon-live.religionnews.com/2018/10/26/legal-battle-rages-over-religious-leader-housing-tax-break-freedom-from-religion-clergy-allowance/

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Moderators

Why?

The basis for the general exemption is based upon the following ideas:

*  Some businesses required that an employee live in housing provided for them and generally sited on business property.  An example of this would be a prison warden. who, with family, was required to live on a house   provided on prison property.

*  It was decided that such was to the benefit of the  business and therefore subject to an allowed business deduction.

The employee (prison warden) should not be required to pay tax on what was for the benefit of the business.

NOTE:  AS to clergy over time that exemption has been greatly restricted an only applies to some clergy. 

*  At the time of this ruling,    many denominations required that pastors and families live in denominational homes.  During the time that I was a SDA denominational pastor, I was always required to live in a house owned by the Conference and provided to me at a rental rate determined by the Conference, which was then excluded from taxation.

*  This clergy exemption is NOT restricted to members of a Christian faith.

*  A valid argument, might be made that in society today, the clergy exemption no longer has a place, due to the fact that in probably most cases, the clergy person is not required to live in a house provided by the denomination.  In actual fact, in the NAD, few, if any homes are owned by the Conference.  Most, if not all, are owned either by the pastor, or by someone else.

Gregory

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Today, in the United States, probably the majority of the homes in which pastors live are not owned by the Conference.  Pastors like everyone else like to chose their  own home in which to live, as  such best meets their needs.  Few Conferences now want to be responsible for the required upkeep of the property.

Gregory