ClubAdventist is back!

A LGBTQ Thesis

Gregory Matthews

• 4 weeks later...

I see that no one has commented on this. I wonder how many have read the document from start to finish?

There are some points made in the document, regarding how our identity is "negotiated" within the church; but this paper defines it more narrowly, by limiting said phenomena to just gays/homosexuals.

I actually dont agree with the general tenor of this paper, for the simple reason that its not really verifiable, as in empirically proven. It would be much more believable had it included the fact that almost everyone goes through this "negotiating" of identity when we join a church; it seems too narrowly defined by limiting it to just a small segment of people in one country.

I have long-questioned why the Church singles out LGBTQs so differently, than they do, or typically do from all the others on "the list."  Yes, there is an official list in scripture. So why the constant rant about just one of them?  We conveniently leave out, and especially leave out liars, adulterers, thieves, and many others on that list.

THAT is an   "identity" worth fighting about

(2 Cor 1:3-4) Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.

Light In The Clouds

In Christ; and through The Spirit; "there is always a little Light..."  (Micah 7:8).

21 minutes ago, BlessedMan said:

I have long-questioned why the Church singles out LGBTQs so differently, than they do, or typically do from all the others on "the list."  Yes, there is an official list in scripture. So why the constant rant about just one of them? 

Great question.  I've often wondered about that myself.  Homosexuality is just one item on a list of more than 20 sins on "the list".  Many of them most Christians just wink at or ignore now.

28 minutes ago, BlessedMan said:

I wonder how many have read the document from start to finish?

Not me.  147 pages is beyond my attention span.  It would take me a week.

1 hour ago, JoeMo said:

Not me.  147 pages is beyond my attention span.  It would take me a week.

I think it would take the average person 2-3 hrs to go through it slow enough to get this gist of it. I have a number of questions/problems regarding the article. Great strides have been taken to portray it as "scholarly," complete with all the usual name-dropping, and very subjective characterizations throughout. But it was based on just 37 persons labelled as "informants"  and the research project was justified by calling it "qualitative." Not so sure I buy that either. Swedish & Norwegian societies are heavily leaning towards technocratic government and this is seemingly standard fodder for that kind of atmosphere. The one thing I would say in it's favor, is the "identity formation" ideas do have some merit; but I am thinking could and should be applied to everyone at Church. In other words; it has a much wider scope than the author of the document seems to have. Not that thats wrong, in and of itself; but some ideas shouldn't be co-opted into something thats more uniquely related to them; when it is really a problem that everyone has.

I noticed that the software she used in her research is about $1600 dollars to purchase a lifetime license. Its these kinds of things that serve to segregate the "research"  from the wider population groups that could be involved. That and using it on such a small number of people.  To illustrate briefly, if you or I had that software; I can guarantee you we would find something much different.

At the risk of being labelled differently than I actually am; I had better stop now.

(2 Cor 1:3-4) Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.

Light In The Clouds

In Christ; and through The Spirit; "there is always a little Light..."  (Micah 7:8).