ClubAdventist is back!

Question on music

MsMarie

Hello- can you tell me if SDA members are required to only listen to Christian music.  I am in the process of changing my membership from one SDA church to another and the new membership requires an agreement that you have to sign stating you will avoid listening or watching sinful things.  This got me thinking about the music I listen to.  I really enjoy pop music and most the time I don't pay too much attention to the lyrics.  Is soft pop music okay to listen to if you are an SDA?  Thanks in advance.  

• Members

Never heard of a church requiring its members to sign an agreement such as what you describe.  I think it's ridiculous.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

On 8/5/2020 at 7:54 AM, MsMarie said:

Is soft pop music okay to listen to if you are an SDA? 

I say yes.  If I were you, I'd look for a different church that is not so legalistic.  What is appropriate to watch or listen to is quite subjective.  One man's ceiling is another man's floor.  For example, one could make an argument that watching CNN is "sinful"; although it would be a stupid argument.

MSMARIE

My suggestion  is  to  ask your self  ===does  this  music  that  I 

am  listening  to   help my  mind to  up lift JESUS==== all I   can  say

is to  pray and  ask THE   HOLY  SPIRIT  to  lead you to understanding===

we  have  advice  to  guard what  goes  in to  our  minds  both music and entertainment===

dgrimm60

• Like 2

On 8/6/2020 at 11:28 AM, dgrimm60 said:

My suggestion  is  to  ask your self  ===does  this  music  that  I 

am  listening  to   help my  mind to  up lift JESUS==== all I   can  say

is to  pray and  ask THE   HOLY  SPIRIT  to  lead you to understanding===

And if the church doesn't agree with what the HS is telling MsMarie, who's right?  I happen to like classic rock music.  Much of it does not lift Jesus up; but neither does it put Him down.  Some churches (maybe the one MsMarie is planning to join) condemn contemporary Christian music - like Third Day, Loren Daegle, and Hillsong - all of whom bless me.  Musical and movie preferences are personal choices; and I don't believe that the church should control people to that extent.  It's one of the major problems I have with denominations - their main objective is to exert control over your wallet and your behavior.  I'm answerable to Jesus - not to some denomination.

I would just ask the Lord, and He'll let you know if the music is OK.  There are some old classic rock songs I like too, but one of my favorites, and I consider it super sacred , is Gregorian chant--not the ones that have Marian worship in them. 

Te Deum is a beautiful song.

Translation:

http://www.preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/Trinitas/TeDeum.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Ms Marie:

What you have stated is not standard practice in the SDA denomination. 

A question for you:  Has that congregation also asked you to show your Income tax returns to prove that you pay a faithful tithe? 

I ask because I suspect the congregation that you reference is an "outlier" and is not practicing standard SDA policy.

If you are living in an area that has a number of other SDA congregations, I will suggest that you may want to consider  joining another SDA Congregation.

If you are living in the Metro-Sacramento area, I will suggest  that you consider joining the Gracepoint congregation in Rocklin.

• Like 2

Gregory

• 2 years later...

I had a client where the husband loved to listen to Third Day, as well as other CCM.  The wife believed CCM was the devil's music and was convinced that the only reason her husband didn't believe it was sinful is because he liked the music.  Things didn't turn out well for that couple.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity