ClubAdventist is back!

Supreme Court rules against Bush Admin, again

bevin

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

on the principle that everyone benefits from them

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

It is obviously true that not everyone benefits EQUALLY from them. However as a society we try to make the reasons for the variance be something justifiable. We don't use eye color or skin color.

The legislature, the court system, and the welfare system affect such issues as inheritance, medical power of attorney, disability insurance, and indeed the exact amount of taxes two people pay.

For instance marriage, today, affects the amount of taxes two adults living together will pay. It affects their cost of car insurance. It affects their legal protections should the relationship dissolve. It affects their rights to tell medical people what to do should one have a catastrophic event. It affects the Social Security payment to one after the other dies.

If so, then it is self-evidently mistaken. If not, your position is incoherent.

As a consequence, today a same-sex couple does not have access to the same systems that a opposite-sex couple does.

Aside: Are you going to insist on demonstrating the smallness of your mind and the weakness of your intellect by using insulting language? If so, I shall continue to make retorts like this one.

why not allow gays and everyone else to keep the money that would otherwise be taxed for social security, and allow them to invest it for themselves. That would be my preference. I don't want their money, you see, for my retirement, either.

The decision to have a state supplied retirement system (and other aspects of the welfare system) is an interesting one, and there are arguments both for and against. That is a different discussion to this one, which is about "IF you have one THEN it should not be biased against same-sex couples."

/Bevin

Aside: Are you going to insist on demonstrating the smallness of your mind and the weakness of your intellect by using insulting language? If so, I shall continue to make retorts like this one.

An interesting point. I say your position is incoherent, you say my mind is small and my intellect is weak. I have said nothing at all about you, yet you attack me personally. And then claim I am insulting you!

It's precisely the difference between ideas and persons that makes civil debate possible.

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

Please be specific. What constitutes biting, as you define it?

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

For each of the following, do you consider the statements to be be disagreement or biting?

1. </font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

.If you clarify, be prepared to shut up...This attitude is harmful to us as well. It belittles people and causes many to justifably look down on others...This is a poor attitude to have..

2. </font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

Maybe you should go back and read some elementary childhood sex education books about birds and bees.

3. </font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

4. </font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

Are you going to insist on demonstrating the smallness of your mind and the weakness of your intellect

Please give us some practical guidance.

Your behavior is "toxic"

I certainly hope it is, to certain viewpoints and attitudes. Penicillin is toxic to many harmful bacteria.

Ed said:

"Life is not easily compartmentalized. Habits of thinking encouraged in one are will spill over into others. That's why silly charges of partisanship, or gratuitous charges of racism on this tthread are so misplaced. The principle being taught by such things has had and is having devastating results on our children. I encounter it almost daily."

olger heartily agrees

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

Ed, yes some of those can be inflammatory...

ONE of the PROBLEMS is not hearing the voice or knowing the person, is that somethings just do not transfer well on forums.

Take "Your behavior is "toxic" I view that as insulting... that may not be his intent.

The words "shut up" were not allowed in my home. Others do not see anything wrong with that.

Politics.... brings out the worst in people, in the eyes of others, not their own.

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

"Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." 1 Sam 16:7

This is not just a diagnosis, it is a prescription. We cannot discern intentions, only God can. Indeed, the heart is desperately wicked, so the person who wrote the words may be deceived about his intentions.

Humans are limited to assessing overt actions. In a forum like this, that means words. When we move into divining intentions, we not only arrogate to ourselves that which is the prerogative of God, we open ourselves to deception, both by others, but more dangerously from our own hearts.

Until recently, all our laws were written to recognize this basic truth. Effective classrooms and even corporations run on this basic principle. Ignoring it leads to favoritism, cronyism, and corruption. It's a leading reason for the sad state so many of our congregations are in.

It would be nice to discern intentions. Indeed, being nice is one of the main motivations in the attempt. Or, to put it another way, the attempt to divine intentions is often motivated by good intentions. But we know where that road leads.