ClubAdventist is back!

Court blocks New York Governor's COVID Restrictions on Religious Congregations

Stan

In a major victory for religious congregations, delivered late on Thanksgiving Eve, the United States Supreme Court blocked the state of New York from implementing gathering restrictions that the Court ruled discriminate against religious congregations.

The post Court blocks New York Governor's COVID Restrictions on Religious Congregations appeared first on ReligiousLiberty.TV / Founders' First Freedom®.

View the full article

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

Interesting about this case is that Cuomo singled out religious groups while allowing a wide variety of other businesses and gatherings to continue. I found it interesting as another example of leftist hostility towards religious groups.

Court blocks New York Governor's COVID Restrictions on Religious Congregations

“And it turns out the businesses the Governor considers essential include hardware stores, acupuncturists, and liquor stores.

“Bicycle repair shops, certain signage companies, accountants, lawyers, and insurance agents are all essential too.

“So, at least according to the Governor, it may be unsafe to go to church, but it is always fine to pick up another bottle of wine, shop for a new bike, or spend the afternoon exploring your distal points and meridians. Who knew public health would so perfectly align with secular convenience?

https://conservativept.com/neil-gorsuch-knocks-gov-cuomo-off-high-horse-with-blistering-ruling-in-religious-liberty-case/

Also interesting is that once again, John Roberts, sided again with the liberal members of the court! You don't always get what you want when you nominate a person for the Supreme Court. He may be attempting to fill the spot left by Anthony Kennedy. And this is also why Amy Coning Barrett was a just in time pick for the court!

>>>Texts in blue type are quotes<<<

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

--Shakespeare from Hamlet

Bill Liversidge Seminars

The Emergent Church and the Invasion of Spiritualism

• Moderators

On November 26, 2020, the United States Supreme Court issued an important ruling affecting the rights of religious congregations to conduct services during this time of COVED-19 restrictions.  I suspect that it is going to be widely misunderstood. 

This ruling is not a final judgment that applies across the United States.  Rather, it is a temporary injunction that applies to the order of Governor Andrew Cuomo, of New York State.  This injunction remains in effect until the 2nd Circuit Appellate Court issues its ruling.   This judgment is likely to terminate either upon the judgment of the Appellate Court,   or if a writ of certiorari is granted.  If that Writ is granted the case will be heard by the Supreme Court with a consequent final judgment that will apply nationwide. 

The following link takes you to the majority, concurring and dissenting decisions of the nine judges.  The Per Curiam decision is important as it is the unanimous agreement, of the nine judges.  It is followed by the two concurring decisions and the six dissenting decisions, for a total of 33 pages.  Taken together, in my opinion, I believe one can get a sense as to how the Court might rule, if a Writ is granted. 

In the meantime, as I understand this injunction a major reason for this injunction is that the order of Governor Cuomo treated religious congregations more harshly than other secular groups were treated.  This could be considered a violation of the First Amendment.  On this basis, it must be assumed that an order to restrict religious services could be crafted that would be legal.   I also, found it if interest that Cuomo’s order essentially ruled that certain Jewish groups could not conduct services with women present.   

For further consideration, see the actual ruling of the Court at: 

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/20pdf/20a87_4g15.pdf

Gregory