ClubAdventist is back!

The Return of the Latter Rain

B/W Photodude

by Ron Duffield

The Return of the Latter Rain is a look at the events around the message of the righteousness of Christ as presented at the 1888 Minneapolis General Conference meeting by E. J. Waggoner and A. T. Jones. While this book did not cover extensively the righteousness of Christ, it looked at the controversy it created and the pushback from others in General Conference leadership who did not accept the message as brought by Waggoner and Jones.

This controversy was to go on for several years thru more than one ministerial meeting. The book also covered the issues around Sentinel magazine and the work A. T. Jones in the religious liberty effort including Jones testifying before congress regarding religious liberty.

The appendix to the book did include a discussion of the righteousness of Christ.

This book was also volume one of a reported 2 part series. Unfortunately, I can find no evidence of a volume two making it to print although there was a chapter listing in volume 1.

I do recommend this book for anyone interested in the events surround 1888.

>>>Texts in blue type are quotes<<<

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

--Shakespeare from Hamlet

Bill Liversidge Seminars

The Emergent Church and the Invasion of Spiritualism

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2020 at 8:38 PM, B/W Photodude said:

This controversy was to go on for several years thru more than one ministerial meeting. The book also covered the issues around Sentinel magazine and the work A. T. Jones in the religious liberty effort including Jones testifying before congress regarding religious liberty.

One of the works mentioned in the book "The Return of the Latter Rain" is that of Ellet Waggoner and his book "Glad Tidings" which I decided to make my next read. I find Waggoner to be a very interesting writer. One of the conflicts in the 1888 period was that of the "two covenants." So, Waggoner's book Glad Tidings is a discussion of the book of Galations where the covenants were discussed. Of interest is the second quarters Sabbath school lessons will be on the covenants. Glad Tidings should be an interesting book to accompany the spring quarters SS lessons.

But, Waggoner also wrote a book on Isaiah, "Treasures in Isaiah." I suspect this would be a very good book to accompany the first quarters SS lessons. The first quarter will be taking a look at Isaiah. So, read the book and go to sabbath school.* 

https://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Isaiah-Good-Gospel-Prophet/dp/1572582448

*For many years, I was one to skip sabbath school and just make it to the church service. Then I started attending SS. Then I got drafted to teach SS. While some quarters I kind of struggle to get through as it doesn't really appeal to me, other quarters are worth their weight in gold and SS has become more spiritually rewarding than the main church service! What I missed by all the years of not attending. :(

>>>Texts in blue type are quotes<<<

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

--Shakespeare from Hamlet

Bill Liversidge Seminars

The Emergent Church and the Invasion of Spiritualism