ClubAdventist is back!

Earle Hilgert

Gregory Matthews

• 5 months later...

Earle Hilgert quoted in  Arthur Patrick's blog Adventist Studies 35

You graciously invite me to share any thoughts I may have regarding the paper.  On p. 6 you mention briefly the committee set up by the General Conference in the early 60’s, which as I recall was called “The Daniel Committee,” but really focused on the issue of whether the traditional Adventist doctrine of the sanctuary could be substantiated from the Bible. 

I suspect that I am the only living member of that committee left.  It was made up of a dozen or so persons drawn from the GC, the Seminary and the Review and Herald:  those I remember were Harry Lowe, the chairman, R.A. Anderson, Leo Odom from the White Estate, Ray Cottrell and Don Neufeld from the Review, Richard Hammill, W.G.C. Murdoch, Siegfried Horn and myself from the Seminary.  Ted Heppenstall may also have been there, but I’m not sure. There was also another man from the GC whose name I have forgotten. 

We met twice a year at the GC building, I believe for four years, read papers which we had prepared, and struggled. Some of these I think were published (in Ministry?).  As you mentioned, we were unable to come to a consensus.  This became evident at the last meeting, which I recall vividly.  A poll was taken as to where we stood.  The large majority 
agreed that we had not been able to establish the doctrine of the investigative judgment from the Bible, but that they nevertheless believed it was there and felt  that if we only kept studying, light would break in, and it would be substantiated.  Cottrell and Neufeld said that they didn’t think it was in the Bible, but that they accepted it on
the basis of the writings of Ellen White.  I, alone, had to admit that I didn’t think it was in the Bible, and that I couldn’t accord that kind of authority to Sister White.  

I think that the papers that were written at that time are probably on file at the GC, as years later I had a letter from Dick Lesher, who was then at the GC,  asking permission to circulate something I had written, to which I agreed.[21] 

Earle Hilgert  quoted in  Adventist Studies, Post 35, Arthur Patrick.