ClubAdventist is back!

Healthful Eating

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

For your information:  Nutrition Action is published ten times a year by the Center for Science In The Public Interest.  If you are interested in healthful eating, whatever your diet, vegan to carnivore, with no commercial advertising, this publication contains a wealth of information.

NOTE:  This forum does not allow for commercial postings.  I remove such when posted.  However, occasionally I will post an announcement that I believe may be of value to people reading here and in which I do not he any commercial interest.

Gregory

• 2 months later...

Having read works by most of the thought leaders in the current WFPB [whole food plant based] dietary movement, I appreciate all the more the good things EGW presented regarding diet. Modern nutritional science is still catching up to health counsels written by EGW 150 years ago. Not necessarily original, she was able to preserve much good counsel from her contemporaries who wrote on health. One example is her 2 meal a day plan, no snacking with at least 5 hours between meals. Only in 1969 was a physiologic mechanism known as the migratory motor complex discovered. This phenomena, which occurs only when the stomach is empty, is responsible for cleansing the small bowel of waste matter which would otherwise accumulate in the small intestine. Continual eating or grazing/snacking interferes with this process and contributes to various diseases of the bowel. SIBO, for example, is routinely treated by eliminating grazing and allowing the bowel to properly cleanse itself between meals. Some of the current wfpb physicians recommend eating 6+  meals a day, something obviously contrary to what we now know about digestive physiology. EGW preserved this idea of eating balanced, satiating meals  for us to benefit from.

Article from February 16,2021:

• 1 year later...