ClubAdventist is back!

Faith "Alone"

GHansen

Luther wrote a tract "On Translating" to explain why he inserted the word "alone" in his translation [from Greek to German]  of Romans 3:28: "Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith [alone] apart from the deeds of the law.  The word "alone" is not in the Greek text. None of my several English translations of the verse include the word "alone." Luther plainly admitted that the word "alone" is not in the Greek text; nevertheless, he insisted that it is proper, in the German language, to include the word "alone." Luther believed that a translator must sometimes depart from literal translation in order to give the correct sense in the target language. He also believed it was theologically correct to insert the word "alone" as the following  from "On Translating" evinces:

Now I was not relying on and following the nature of the languages alone, however, when, in Roman 3[:28] I inserted the word solum (alone). Actually the text itself and the meaning of St. Paul urgently require and demand it. For in that very passage he is dealing with the main point of Christian doctrine, namely, that we are justified by faith in Christ without any works of the law. And Paul cuts away all works so completely, as even to say that the works of the law—though it is God’s law and word—do not help us for justification [Rom. 3:20]. He cites Abraham as an example and says that he was justified so entirely without works that even the highest work—which, moreover, had been newly commanded by God, over and above all other works and ordinances, namely circumcision—did not help him for justification; rather he was justified without circumcision and without any works, by faith, as he says in chapter 4[:2], “If Abraham was justified by works, he may boast, but not before God.” But when all works are so completely cut away—and that must mean that faith alone justifies—whoever would speak plainly and clearly about this cutting away of works will have to say, “Faith alone justifies us, and not works.” The matter itself, as well as the nature of the language, demands it.

Luther, M. (1999). Luther’s works, vol. 35: Word and Sacrament I. (J. J. Pelikan, H. C. Oswald, & H. T. Lehmann, Eds.) (Vol. 35, p. 195). Philadelphia: Fortress Press.

Faith "Alone" #2

I am amazed that anyone can take exception in a matter as evident as this. Just tell me: Is Christ’s death and resurrection our work, that we do, or is it not? Of course it is not our work, nor the work of any law either. Now it is Christ’s death and resurrection alone that saves us and makes us free from sin, as Paul says in Romans 4[:25], “He died for our sins and rose for our justification.” Tell me, further: What is the work by which we lay hold of Christ’s death and resurrection? It cannot be any external work, but only the eternal faith that is in the heart. Faith alone, indeed, all alone, without any works, lays hold of this death and resurrection when it is preached by the gospel.

Why then this raging and raving, this making of heretics and burning them at the stake, when the matter itself at its very core is so clear and proves that faith alone lays hold of Christ’s death and resurrection, without any works, and that his death and resurrection [alone] are our life and our righteousness? Since, then, the fact itself is so obvious—that faith alone conveys, grasps, and imparts this life and righteousness—why should we not also say so?

Luther, M. (1999). Luther’s works, vol. 35: Word and Sacrament I. (J. J. Pelikan, H. C. Oswald, & H. T. Lehmann, Eds.) (Vol. 35, pp. 196–197). Philadelphia: Fortress Press.

Faith "Alone" #3

The matter itself in its very core, then, demands that we say, “Faith alone justifies.” And the nature of our German language also teaches us to express it that way. I have in addition the precedent of the holy fathers. And the danger of the people also compels it, so that they may not continue to hang upon works and wander away from faith and lose Christ, especially in these days, for they have been accustomed to works so long they have to be torn away from them by force. For these reasons it is not only right but also highly necessary to speak it out as plainly and fully as possible, “Faith alone saves, without works.” I am only sorry that I did not also add the words alle and aller, and say, “without any works of any laws,” so that it would have been expressed with perfect clarity. Therefore it will stay in my New Testament,...

Luther, M. (1999). Luther’s works, vol. 35: Word and Sacrament I. (J. J. Pelikan, H. C. Oswald, & H. T. Lehmann, Eds.) (Vol. 35, pp. 197–198). Philadelphia: Fortress Press.