ClubAdventist is back!

Church Mourns Loss of Alfred C. McClure

Stan

Church Mourns Loss of Alfred C. McClure

It is with deep sorrow that we announce the passing of Elder Alfred C. McClure, former president of the North American Division of Seventh-day Adventists. Elder McClure passed away on Tuesday, August 1, at the age of 74.

For the past years, Elder McClure had been battling lung cancer. His initial chemotherapy treatments allowed him to continue traveling, attend church, and exercise. In the last few weeks of his life, tumors were found in his brain. Although radiation treatments were administered, they did not cure the tumors.

Survivors include his wife, Frances; and his children, Sally, Al Jr., and Scott.

Ordained as a Seventh-day Adventist minister in the Florida Conference in 1959, Elder McClure served many areas of the Church:

* Evangelist, Florida Conference, 1954-1956

* Pastor, Florida Conference, 1956-1963

* Pastor, Missouri Conference, St. Louis, 1963-1967

* Department Director, Georgia-Cumberland Conference, 1967-1973

* President, Wyoming Conference, 1973-1977

* President, Kansas Conference, 1977-1978

* President, Kentucky *Tennessee Conference, 1978-1980

* President, Southern Union Conference, 1980-1990

Elder McClure was elected to serve as the president of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in North America at the 55th General Conference Session in Indianapolis, IN. During his 10-year leadership, more than 250,000 people were baptized in North America as well as the establishment of the Division as a distinct administrative unit. He was also in the forefront of satellite evangelism in the 1990's, the first of which was NET '95 with more than 150,000 people attending the opening meeting in more than 2,000 locations.

Memorial services will be held on Sabbath, August 5, at 3:00 p.m. at the Collegedale Seventh-day Adventist Church, 4829 College Drive E, Collegedale, TN 37315. Phone: (423) 396-2134. This is on the campus of Southern Adventist University. The family will receive visitors immediately after the service.

Arrangements are being made at Heritage Funeral Home, 7454 East Brainerd Road, Chattanooga, TN 37421. Phone: (423) 894-2010. In lieu of flowers, donations may be sent to the Southern Adventist University Worthy Student Fund, P.O. Box 370, Collegedale, TN 37315.

Messages of condolences may be sent to:

Mrs. Frances McClure

29 Sandpiper Trail

Ringgold, GA 30736

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

• Administrators

He sure had a full life. Is there anyone here that knew him personally?

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Elder McClure is on the opening video for our church, welcoming everyone to our church. We filmed it at Seeds 2000, his last year there.

Elder McClure was a visionary; twice I saw him "nail the 95 theses to the door at Berrienberg," (his words), declaring that we needed to return to our roots as a church planting church.

I met him. I cannot claim to have known him. But I deeply feel his loss, as will everyone at the church plant he welcomes us to, "the HomePage."

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

Elder McClure served as the pastor of the Central Seventh-day Adventist Church in St. Louis. Although it was 30 years before my time, I've heard his name mentioned several times by the older members. Truly, he was a man who surely will be missed.

Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I dated him in college. He was a true Christian gentleman.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

• Moderators

From 1968-72 I used to write articles for him when he was the communications department leader in the Georgia-Cumberland Conference and I was the English teacher at Georgia-Cumberland Academy.

Very nice gentleman and very gracious to this young writer.

James Brenneman