ClubAdventist is back!

We don't talk about how people can be a member and

Stan

• Administrators

Pam, you are absolutely correct. Words can be hurtful and damaging. Perhaps our mouths should come with a warning label, "dangerous if misused."

Quote:
It is hard to be friendly when inside you are hurting

Beryl, I think you have identified the problem with many who seem distant and unfriendly. Or, sometimes say things in haste that can be unintentionally hurtful.

Also, sometimes "constructive" criticism comes out as just plain hurtful. I don't think many people "hear" their own words and would be shocked if they heard what/how they said something.

For the most part you can usually find friendly loving people in any church.

Naomi

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

Some people have the Spiritual Gift of Evangelism. That is only one way to win souls. What about those that have Spiritual Gifts in other areas. They may not be able or comfortable in teaching, preaching, one-on-one witnessing, yet God uses them to further the Gospel in other ways.

Shaming folks into doing what they are not called to do is counter-productive at best and perhaps satanic at worst.

• Administrators

Can you imagine a world in which we all have the same gifts/talents? duno

Talk about competition!

This I do believe: We should all go and witness to the world. ... Then, say something if we have to! :)

Naomi

We should all go and witness to the world. ... Then, say something if we have to!

I don't find it a matter of "should" as much as it is a matter of "we will". It is impossible not to communicate the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Light of the world, when we are living godly lives in Him. We communicate ideas much more effectively when we live godliness than when we only speak the theory (theology) of it.

"Even so let your light shine before men; that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 5:16 ASV

"And I heard a great voice in heaven, saying, Now is come the salvation, and the power, and the kingdom of our God, and the authority of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, who accuseth them before our God day and night.

And they overcame him because of the blood of the Lamb, and because of the word of their testimony..." Rev 12:10,11 ASV

flower

Lift Jesus up!!

To all of those who find the SDA church to be warm and friendly, why wouldn't you? You are part of it! To this day when my non-SDA spouse visits the SDA church with me, she is treated as an outsider. In other words, not so warm and friendly. The feeling she gets, and the actions I've observed from the brethren towards her, conveys an attitude of, "How can you claim to know the truth and belong to any other church?"

While I personally have found the SDA church to be warm and friendly, since my wife has shared her feelings with me, I have made it a point to ask any visitors that I have invited to church or have fellowshipped with after church about their experiences. More often than not, their experiences parallel those of my wife.

WayneV

Just remember these words of warning, for they will come to pass all too soon:

If you are ever flying through the desert and your canoe breaks down, remember that it takes three pancakes to lift the doghouse, because there ain't nary a bone in ice cream!

• Members

Good point waynev.

pkrause

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Administrators

Hey Wayne, good to see you "on board" again.

I am sorry that your spouse has experienced this reaction from the church members. Sometimes even the preachers and deacons are standing in need of prayer.

Tell your wife that not all are as she has experienced ... some are warm and loving to to non-members and members alike.

To all of those who find the SDA church to be warm and friendly, why wouldn't you? You are part of it! To this day when my non-SDA spouse visits the SDA church with me, she is treated as an outsider. In other words, not so warm and friendly. The feeling she gets, and the actions I've observed from the brethren towards her, conveys an attitude of, "How can you claim to know the truth and belong to any other church?"

While I personally have found the SDA church to be warm and friendly, since my wife has shared her feelings with me, I have made it a point to ask any visitors that I have invited to church or have fellowshipped with after church about their experiences. More often than not, their experiences parallel those of my wife.

Precisely why my husband refuses to attend as well. It took him 19 years to share with me why he refuses to attend church with me.... then we tried several times since, with me encouraging him, telling him I would make sure he was made to feel welcome... and about the time someone actually told him if he had more faith he wouldn't be sick... well.... he didn't let the doorknob hit his fanny on the way out.

That was a week before his third heart catheritization... we haven't been back.

A heart where He alone has first place.

• Administrators

Nice to see you again, Wayne! :) Please don't think that WE are not friendly to you!!!

:)

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

I think the best thing to happen to Christianity would be to make churches illegal. This would probably reduce the infighting, the pretense, the wasted resources, the wasted time, etc.

The alternative: The Church Without Church Buildings. In this church there would be no official sermons, no electronic equipment, no expensive church buildings, nothing requiring loads of money.

This Grass-Roots church would meet in groups of less than 50 or so, smaller if meeting in someone's home.

What would this church teach?

It would teach its regular attendees and guests how to love God with all their hearts.

It would teach us that the most important thing we could do for God is self-sacrifice for the good of others.

It would teach us that it's better to die than to sin.

It would teach us that it's human to err, divine to forgive, and that we must love the sinners of the world, even if they harm us.

It would teach us that we must look out for other's needs and interests before our own.

It would teach us that we must be good servants here on Earth so we can be good servants in the Kingdom of God.

It would teach us how to love one another and be sensitive to everyone's feelings.

I'm sure there are many other ideas out there about what Christians should be learning and teaching and doing regardless if there's a church building or not.

Our churches today may be more of a hindrance to serving God than a help, mainly because of Corporate Worship Syndrome, a spirit-killing disease, and our own human failings.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

• Administrators

Quote:
We don't need to give up our buildings, group sizes, worship styles, etc. We just need to give up self

Amen!

Quote:
I think the best thing to happen to Christianity would be to make churches illegal.

I'm sure you were not speaking literally. Or, at least I hope you weren't

Here's the church where I felt the most "at home."

www.fcchurch.com

Scroll down a little and click on "listen to or order the latest sermons."

Dr. Richard Wing is the the best preacher i've heard.

dAb

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

In 2002, (yeah, here I go again....) I did visit 37 different churches between, FL, TX, TN and MI. I went there with a smile on my face and ready for whatever He had arranged for me that day.

In some churches, I actually went there to meet a friend (usually from C/A) and had various responses from the regulars there. Yes, I did get to visit during potlucks but it was usually only with that person; nobody else came to meet me after getting past the greeters.

And when I just went to worship, well, too bad. No extended hand, no invitation to lunch so I'd drive back to my homebase for the time being sometime 3 hours away.

A couple years later, I was guardian for a special needs boy. I grumbled somewhat at the thought of having to drive and remain with him for an overnight Pathfinder outing at another church some 2 hours from home. I was on really limited funds and preparing a Sabbath picnic lunch was the most remote thought.

That Sabbath, the head elder invited me and the lad to their home. His daughter was married to the pastor! In a quiet moment, for he invited several couples I noted one of the walls with sketches and watercolors. Noting a name, I mentioned it to the host. She had been his mother and all a sudden, I really felt like I did belong there...I had been lead. I really believe that that elder will be there on the earth made new with extra stars.

I am looking forward to the time that I will be able to invite visitors and friends to Sabbath dinner with me.

Wakan Tanka Kici Un

~~Child of Christ~~

• Administrators

Hey Child,

Good to see you posting again.

Yes, I remember your 2002 tour. And, I hold fond memories of your visit to Texas Women's Retreat. Surely do hope you do as well.

There is a vast difference in the manner in which visitors are greeted in our churches. But, churches are filled with people and people are not all thoughtful, gracious or friendly. Most are!

Many of the churches which I attended, and the one in which I had my recent membership have "visitors" luncheons every Sabbath. It is nice; a couple of people take the "lunch duty" each Sabbath so it isn't too much for any one group. Of course there are still the Potlucks usually the 1st or 2nd Sabbath.

Where my membership is at present there seems to be several people anxious to invite the visitor home.

I have noticed that my mood when visiting a new church has a lot to do with how I am received...sometimes it's nice to just return to home base and be alone.

I am thankful that we have such a nice network of churches ... even if you don't know anyone, or make new friends; or if the songs, or style of worship is a little different than you are used to ... you know you are "at home" in a church with fellow believers.