ClubAdventist is back!

Resources

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

I expect that in the near future I will be asked to do some research on this subject.  In preparation for that, I have started working on a document.  The following is my beginning work.  It is not a completed work.

LGBTQIA+ Resources for SDAs

By Gregory Matthews

R:  103121

Definition:  In most circles, LGBTQIA+ means lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer, intersex, and asexual. However, the plus allows the term to cover all different subsects like allies, pansexual, androgynous, and polyamorous.

Purpose:  The purpose of this document is to provide the interested Seventh-day Adventist resources that may be helpful in a study of this group of people to include an analysis of Biblical teachings on this subject.  While some cited resources were produced by SDAs, other listed resources do not come from that background.  These resources are not listed in any order of priority. My personal agreement or disagreement with them should not be assumed.  In actual fact, I have both agreement and disagreement with listed resources.

Sources:

1)       Springett, Ronald M.  Homosexuality in History and the Scriptures: Some Historical & Biblical Perspectives on Homosexuality.  Biblical Research Institute, 1988, 173 pages.

I consider this book, while dated, to be an outstanding introduction to some of the issues related to this subject.  It is a primer that considers some basic issues that are foundational to this subject. Without understanding those foundational issues, one may not have the minimal knowledge needed to consider this subject.one such  is a discussion as to how Homosexuality is defined today to include the various meanings that are associated with it.  The discussion of its history is of interest.  Fundamental to its approach to scripture is the idea that some, not all, of the Biblical verses do not say what we may think that they say.  BRI has it currently on sale for $8.00.

2)       Guiding Families of LGBT+ Loved Ones: Adventist Edition.71 pages.  This is an Adventist edition of a work authored by Bill Henson of Lead Them Home.  It has limited availability from the North American Division. It is a compassionate response to the issues that SDA families face in dealing with their loved ones.  I am critical of the fact that it is not widely available as its distribution is tightly controlled.

3)       Gane, Roy E., Miller Nicholas P., & Swanson, H. Peter, Editors. Homosexuality, Marriage, and the Church: Biblical, Counseling, and Religious Liberty Issues.  Andrews University, 2012, 578 pages.  In the 9 years since this book was published, the issues have changed enough that it is somewhat dated.  In addition, I am critical of the fact that it does not directly address some issues that are not directly addressed in the Bible.  Regardless, our members face those issues.  It has a lot to commend for it and is a valuable source to all members who relate to such people and their families.  It cannot be summarily dismissed by any SDA who is involved in ministry.

4)      Martin, Colby. Unclobber: Rethinking Our Misuse of the Bible on Homosexuality. Westminster, John Knox Press, 2016, 187 pages.  Again this book is somewhat dated and does not deal with some of the issues faced today. A major focus is on the Biblical passages that we often cite.  It suggests that we have not always correctly understood those passages.  I tend to have some agreement, but not total agreement with their position.  Another major part of this book deals with how we relate to other people.  All in all, this book has much to consider that is of value.  However, it is not the perfect, final word on this subject.

Gregory