ClubAdventist is back!

We don't talk about Spiritual Abuse in the Church.

Stan

• Administrators

It distresses me how everyone is expected to evangelize like Billy Graham: memorize all the texts to say to strangers, be able to grab someone in the parking lot of the grocery store and give them a Bible study, and have the charisma of the Avon Lady. If you dare to say in church that you just don't have the nerve to do that, you're made to feel very guilty, like a copout, and in soul jeopardy!

Must we all be carbon copies in God's work? Someone has to make the literature we pass out, design and print the Bible studies, fold flyers. Can someone with social anxiety, or maybe even a touch autistic, be approved by God by work behind the scenes. Or must we all become exactly the same?

The Bible says that we are to shine with what we have. I could be corrected on this, but I think that evangelism is one of the gifts of the Spirit. Obviously it's not yours! But we all as believers should have a story to tell about how the Lord has led us and has treated us with mercy, love and compassion. That is your witness :)

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Parade Orange

• LifeHiscost

• Nicodema

• Naomi

That is such an encouraging reply, brother Stan. You couldn't have said it more clearly than by the example of the woman who thinks she doesn't witness in her own town.

I'm still an active artist, BTW. Thanks for the complement

someone said something about its a sin to go to church?

the scripture that is HEBREWS 10: 25

people have gotten out of the habit of meeting for worship, but we must not do that. We should keep on encouraging each other, especially since you know that the day of the Lord's coming is getting closer.

yes I agree we should be going to church with people who ENCOURAGE each other

so if we must throw that scripture at people we should read the scripture first!

the verse doesnt say to show up with strangers

the verse doesnt say go to church with nasty smelling ignorant abusive whackjobs

it says to go to come together and encourage each other

if your church is abusive GOD isnt DEMANDING u to rub shoulders with those people !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

next time somoeone throws scripture out they should at least read it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LIFEHISCOST

All progress in the Spiritual Life is knowing and Loving GOD

"there is non upon earth that I desire besides YOU" PS 73:25

That perspective changes EVERYTHING-suffering and adversity are the means that makes us hungry for GOD. Disapointments will wean us away wordly occupations. Even sin(when repented of) becomes a mechanism to push us closer to HIM as we experience His Love and Forgiveness.

• Members

It is so good to see a post from you, one of my favourite artists.

It has been my experience that those who go to witness to people don't, and those who just be themselves do.

Am reminded of a person who always likes to go to another town to witness, and yet she cannot do it in her own town. The truth is this, she is doing it in her own town as she interacts with people, and she try to be a fake person in the other town.

Hope that came through as I had meant it to.

Witness is not something we do, it is something we are.

thumbsup

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

ummm i meant

someone said its a sin NOT to go to church

ooopsier

All progress in the Spiritual Life is knowing and Loving GOD

"there is non upon earth that I desire besides YOU" PS 73:25

That perspective changes EVERYTHING-suffering and adversity are the means that makes us hungry for GOD. Disapointments will wean us away wordly occupations. Even sin(when repented of) becomes a mechanism to push us closer to HIM as we experience His Love and Forgiveness.

Originally Posted By: Stan Jensen
It is so good to see a post from you, one of my favourite artists.

It has been my experience that those who go to witness to people don't, and those who just be themselves do.

Am reminded of a person who always likes to go to another town to witness, and yet she cannot do it in her own town. The truth is this, she is doing it in her own town as she interacts with people, and she try to be a fake person in the other town.

Hope that came through as I had meant it to.

Witness is not something we do, it is something we are.

thumbsup

I agree. Something worth contemplating!

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790

• 1 year later...

Woody, you're right on. I was baptized and grew up in the local SDA Church. (50 yrs ago) It was made up of newly baptized members. It was an outgoing church in a very, very small community, but still had a membership of 30 dedicated christians who truly loved each other and their community. .Non-judgemental in every way. I returned 50 yrs later to find a very small group (7 to be exact). The meanest, most judgemental, backbiting of each other, that I could ever imagine. This church is so full of rules, they can't keep them themselves. There's more christianity going on down at "Tings Bar". What a dissapointment. I share with my non-church friends, but don't feel like I can ask them to church. The closest Adventist Church other than this is 30 miles away.Rules are important, but people are more important and Jesus validated that when He said "the two greatest commandments were to love God with all our souls and all our heart and all our mind and our neighbor as ourself.

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

Quote:
As I puzzled over this, I discovered how common that was. Since I worked for the denomination, I went to many churches. And I realized how common it was that the person everyone thought a great church worker was dysfunctional. It's become almost axiomatic with me. It's a common thing that the one person every one 'admires' for their Christian devotion is someone without real friends.

this is such a poignant thought, i had to respond even though this is from an older thread.

i think the church can be a very safe place for dysfunctional people. They find some of their needs are met, and no one wants to discourage one of God's struggling children. I think few members are qualified to come close to these persons and be a good friend and help them balance out and become socially healthier.

I think anyone can slip into being spiritually abusive whenever their motivation does not come from God's love. That is the only pure fountain.

People hurt and express those hurts in hurtful ways, and it is wisdom and grace that will touch these issues and heal them. Love alone can go there and get to it without doing any harm.

Hebrews 12, make straight paths for your feet so that which is lame will not become dysfunctional but rather be healed.

debbym

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

• Members

Some really good points debbym

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}