ClubAdventist is back!

Relationships

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

I have been thinking of a well-known Adventist, whom I will not name, who practices a confrontational approach to people in which he often makes people out to be fools who disagree with him.  I disagree with this approach and consider a respectful approach a better method.

I have a close friend (Joe Erwin), and former roommate at Pacific Union College who is now a retired world-renowned scientist in the field of primate psychobiology who has given up on the idea that there is a God.  Yesterday I sent him a very brief 4-paragraph statement on science and God.  He has responded to me.  The following is one of   his responses.  I consider it to be support of my idea that my approach is better than the confrontational approach.  i invite you to consider how to relate to people.

NOTE:  For information on Joe, see:  https://anthropology.columbian.gwu.edu/joseph-m-erwin

Yes, my friend. No worries. I know you to be a thoughtful and considerate and sensible person, who is

open to hearing ideas other than those from his own religious tradition. I do not intend to insult you or
your faith any more than you seek to convert me to believe something I don't or can't. We are friends.
I think it is just fine that we are able to expose each other to our current thoughts about some pretty
profound issues that may be of special importance at our age.

I value that the human imagination generates concepts that lead to positive patterns of living. That there are
human inventions and institutions that relieve injury and pain, promote harmony, and encourage creation
of products from food to music--all that is quite wonderful. When human thoughts work to promote harmony
and reduce anger, hate, and violence, yes, that is great. When concepts of God inspire positive lives,
that is fine. Sadly, as we all know, not all the consequences of faith are positive.

More later. Have a good night, my friend.

Gregory