ClubAdventist is back!

No Easy Solution

Gregory Matthews

• Members

Very sad what's happening! Church and State coming together!!

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

13 hours ago, Gregory Matthews said:

The following article illustrates that some controversial issues do not have an easy solution.

https://atoday.org/advocates-use-cases-of-women-jailed-for-stillbirths-at-adventist-hospitals-as-consequences-of-overturning-roe-v-wade/

I have read this article three times trying to make sense  of  the reasoning.  Gregory maybe you can enlighten me.  Serious question, not even really debating abortion right or wrong, but more the reasoning of those that are either prolife or those that use the SDA logic in  "Personally I would never have an abortion but I can't tell someone else what to do."

Women are going to continue to have abortions , their minds will not be changed with this, 

We have had several incidences here where a pregnant woman either was badly injured or killed in accidents or domestic violence. Where the other party was at fault they were not only charged with the injury/death to the pregnant woman but charged in the death of the unborn child. Under those circumstances it is considered a child.  If this same woman was on her way to abort this?????? it is a constitutional right.

I am sure all heard about the trial and conviction of Scott Peterson, both for the murder of his wife and his unborn child.

In the article you posted both children/????? were dead at birth caused by the behavior of the pregnant women. Had those two babies lost their lives before they even begun at the hands of someone else they  would have been held accountable. How does that work?

What right does anyone have to dictate what a woman can take/do carrying a ???? or child.

With the decriminalization of so many drugs Pregnant or not I should be free to take them.

How do we have a child under one set of circumstances and in another it becomes ??? disposable  if inconvenient. I am not looking to be convinced or to convince anyone else, just trying to understand the logic behind it

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

• Moderators

I post material i this forum with which I agree.  I also post material in this forum with which I do not agree.

Bonnie, you probably know me well enough to sometimes (not always) know what I actually think.

The piece that I posted falls into a different category.  I do not have a developed opinion on all aspects of the issues involved.  IL have questions in my mind for which I do not have answers.

Of course, women are not going to read it and stop having abortions.  That thought never even occurred to me.

To sum up my thinking on the article:

*  It is sad in many ways.

* It raises issues for which I do not have a good solution.

* I think that there are no easy solutions to the issues raised.

Gregory

22 minutes ago, Gregory Matthews said:

I post material i this forum with which I agree.  I also post material in this forum with which I do not agree.

Bonnie, you probably know me well enough to sometimes (not always) know what I actually think.

The piece that I posted falls into a different category.  I do not have a developed opinion on all aspects of the issues involved.  IL have questions in my mind for which I do not have answers.

Of course, women are not going to read it and stop having abortions.  That thought never even occurred to me.

To sum up my thinking on the article:

*  It is sad in many ways.

* It raises issues for which I do not have a good solution.

* I think that there are no easy solutions to the issues raised.

I am sorry, was not implying this was  anything other than an article of interest you posted.

I have never been able to understand the logic used to justify abortion and thought maybe you could shed some light as to the reasoning used.

To me it is or it isn't. So  it is pretty simple for me, just don't get if a stranger causes the death it is a child and if the mother causes the death it is what???

Thanks for responding

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

• Moderators

I have an opinion on abortion, which is complex and probably not simple.

No problem with your posting    I welcome your thoughts to include when I do not agree with you.  :)

• Like 2

Gregory

The issue here is women using narcotics while they are pregnant. It's not about clinical abortion. It does seem strange, however, that a woman can be imprisoned for injuring/killing an unborn but destroying a fetus in a clinical procedure is/was OK.  

Yes, I understood what the issue was. I have always been curious as to the reasoning. As a woman according to Roe vs Wade  I should have been able to do as I pleased when pregnant without fear of consequences. I have asked several people and end up being told that it is best not to question

• Moderators

I hate abortion, but I hate even more the deaths from self attempts to abort or if something goes wrong with an illegal abortion situation. 

We have the ability to fight abortion by working with the women who may be interested in an abortion and assist them in getting through what ever they are dealing with, and showing care to them as individuals. 

Sadly, we don't want to do serve people on a grass roots, personal level. We just want the government to do our job for us by impersonally having the government force our will upon the population as a whole. 2 Timothy 3:5 tells us that in the last days people will have a form of godliness but deny it's power-- the power of the Holy Spirit, the power of caring and love. We saw the papacy as wrong because of how they forced religion on the population instead of going after the power of the unassuming nature of God, and the principles of the non-use of force in most situations. Al Smith lost his presidential bid for reasons that included the fear that since he was a Catholic that he would use his position to force Catholic beliefs on to the country.  John Kennedy pointed out that he knew the difference between being a Catholic politician and being a politician who worshiped in the Catholic church. Today's politicians need to learn from what Kennedy understood. 

Is there anything that fits so perfect into the events of eschatology: Satan appealing by the use of force in a way that appeals to those who are interested in religion, and to get those who see the danger in this act to think that they need to reject religion to avoid this error. 

20 hours ago, Kevin H said:

I hate abortion, but I hate even more the deaths from self attempts to abort or if something goes wrong with an illegal abortion situation. 

We have the ability to fight abortion by working with the women who may be interested in an abortion and assist them in getting through what ever they are dealing with, and showing care to them as individuals. 

This is a standard non answer to my question. I was not asking how any one person felt concerning abortion or the right or wrong of having an abortion.

What is so sad or to hate about disposing of cells or ???. 

I asked for an explanation of how a  woman is carrying a child if pregnancy is terminated due to domestic violence or a at fault accident by another party. If the same woman is on her way to abortion clinic what transformation takes place  that this is no longer a child?

With the decriminalization of so many harmful drugs whose business is it what I do with my body? I should be able to take what I want without fear of consequences

20 hours ago, Kevin H said:

Sadly, we don't want to do serve people on a grass roots, personal level. We just want the government to do our job for us by impersonally having the government force our will upon the population as a whole. 2 Timothy 3:5 tells us that in the last days people will have a form of godliness but deny it's power-- the power of the Holy Spirit, the power of caring and love. We saw the papacy as wrong because of how they forced religion on the population instead of going after the power of the unassuming nature of God, and the principles of the non-use of force in most situations.

Who is the anonymous "WE"?  I live in a small town of app 11,000..There are at least five churches that offer a great deal of help, then of course there is the social welfare programs, medical, food stamps, to many grants to list here for education below a certain income level. Extremely generous food shelves  Salvation Army and others that offer help

John Kennedy pointed out that he knew the difference between being a Catholic politician and being a politician who worshiped in the Catholic church. Today's politicians need to learn from what Kennedy understood. 

Is there anything that fits so perfect into the events of eschatology: Satan appealing by the use of force in a way that appeals to those who are interested in religion, and to get those who see the danger in this act to think that they need to reject religion to avoid this error. 

You seem to be making abortion a religious issue.  I didn't imply anything concerning religion, especially a religious issue for SDA. I have heard SDA become more incensed over the consumption of coffee or meat.

Just trying to figure out the rationale behind those that favor abortion.

You are providing answers to questions that weren't asked