ClubAdventist is back!

What's Up With Your Schools

Gus Foster

When attending alumni weekend I was made aware of several schools in the Adventist system that were in great economic distress and even some that had closed. This was kinda a shock to me, altho it probably shouldn't have been, since I have received so many requests for financial aid and worthy student donations. confused.gif I am aware of several schools in Ohio that are financially strapped, and in New York where some have closed. The number one reason seems to be the lack of students, and the reasons legion.

I would like you to respond; what about the schools in your area? Have some closed? Are they in dire straits, or are some of them florishing? What about the schools that you went to--what shape are they in?

In my school in upstate New York, Union Springs Academy, cool.gifthere are as many students in the entire school as there were in my time in many of the classes. It poses the question--what is the cut off for the number to close the school? And in Atlantic Union College in So. Lancaster, Mass. they have had to pull several bunnies out of thin air to keep it afloat.

So how are you doing, and were is the future of Adventist education within our own structure?

Striving for a better relationship with Him!

Gus Foster

There are three local elementary schools in the St. Louis area. One is suffering from major debt. One is flourishing in a richer neighborhood. One is suffering from lack of good attendance.

There are two high school academies in our 2-state conference. I am more fully aware of one than the other. While I'm not sure of the financial status of the school, I am aware that the tuition for one year will be $10,200. This will include room and board, tuition and books. The school has approximately 200 students.

I might add that the cost of one year at this high school academy is more than the entire cost of my college education. I graduated in 1991.

• Moderators

Our local church school is struggling. We've had trouble getting a good teacher who is willing to teach a one-room eight-grade school and live in an area where the cost of living is as high as it is here. Two years ago an average home cost $235,000, and the price has gone up 26% per year for the past two years. Rentals are nonexistent, unless you're willing to be put on a waiting list that is a year long.

We're getting strong vibes from the conference that they'd like to shut us down, but if we do, that'll be nearly ten kids who will go to a local public or nondenominational Christian school rather than drive 30-45 minutes in often horrendous traffic or fog to the next nearest SDA school.

This next year may be our last. A combination of small congregation and local church/school politics has driven our student population down to ten. I don't know whether to be sad or be mad. I think I'm both.

LD

LD

• Moderators

Unfortunately, a high percentage of our SDA members now are adult converts, who never had the privilege of attending SDA schools themselves so do not have the understanding of the need for financial sacrifice in order to send their own children. We have a high percentage of SDA families who choose not to send their children to SDA schools. Which is a sad, sad situation, since this perpetuates the "lax" attitude toward Christian education, and eventually causes the schools to have to close.

The high tuition now being charged would not need to be so high (per student) if there were more students registered in each school. Tuition has always cost sacrifice on the part of the parents. So many families now, however, have only one SDA parent. It becomes nearly impossible without the cooperation of both parents, plus contribution by childless members in the church, in order to keep the schools going.

But if we think education is expensive -- try ignorance.

We must promote Christian education from the very earliest grades. The rewards are enormous.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

• 3 weeks later...

Many of the denominational schools are struggling financially, and have dwindling enrollments--thus hiking tuition even higher! A number of schools, in order to attract new students, have relaxed their standards and/or modified their curriculums to make them more attractive. Yet, they still can't compete with what the world has to offer. Thus, parents are in a bit of a quandary--why should they pay high tuition for a school environment that is half-and-half--half spiritual, half worldy?

I recall reading, some years ago, in the SOP, that if our schools turned away from the Divine plan for Christian education, that God would withdraw His blessing from them, and that financial distress would result.

I believe that the best remedy for SDA schools is to return to the model for Christian education which is so clearly spelled out in books such as FE, CT and ED.

Sincerely, Dave

We have a very good school system in our conference. One is closing next year due to members having moved away. Others are doing well but, we have a different system. Our Adventist church schools receive some government funding. We have two systems, the public school system and the Christian independent school system. Both are government funded and at this time it is working very well. The goverment has some say in how they are run but they mostly allow us to operate our schools as we believe they should be. We do not know how long this will last.

• 4 weeks later...

Here in the Nashville area, we have Madison Academy - a great little SDA highschool (day school) that has put almost all their eggs in one basket - the laundry. No other industry anywhere on campus for students to learn a "real skill". Guess what? The laundry has been having problems keeping its customers in the Madison/Nashville area as hospitals and motels are using other laundries. Where does this leave Madison Academy? Up the creek. Could Madison Academy have placed student workers into other areas such as gardening, agriculture, auto mechanics or something else? Sure, but that would take a bit of insight a few years ago. Now it's too late. The KY-TN conference office had to dump a huge amount into Madison Academy to bail them out and guess what - KY-TN conference is low on funds now! I wonder why? LOL

Nobody cares how much you know until they know how much you care.