ClubAdventist is back!

SDA Saints?

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

Saints:   Seventh-day Adventists have sometimes criticized the Roman Catholic Church for what they falsely call the worship of saints.  [NOTE:  In actual fact the Roman Catholic Church reveres saints but does not worship them.  There is a difference.]  My recent excursion on Facebook has caused me to ask if we are any different.  I found one  SDA group dedicated to those who are a “fan” of a SDA denominational leader.  More than 19,000 people have signed on to that group of people who seemingly want to know everything about him.  Multiple photos of that leader shows the leader shaking hands with someone.  One photo was simply labeled to show us what the leader looked like when dressed in light brown.  Other photos showed the leader kneeling in prayer and also praying in other positions.    I got to thinking:  Catholics may have Saint Thomas Aquinas (1222) and Saint Anselm of Canterbury (1033).  Are we really any different in having a fan club of more than 19,000 members who are following this one person?  It is Biblical to be a saint.  Catholics are not wrong in telling us that saints are a reality.  I will not argue that the central person in this Facebook fan club. Is not a saint.  That person may be a saint in the Biblical sense.  But, I clearly question a Facebook following of the everyday activities of that person.

Gregory

I believe that the primary difference is that Catholics believe in the Communion of the Saints while SDA's do not as they believe the Saints sleep in a totally unconscious state in the grave. I'm guessing it would not be uncommon or thought ill of if a member of the SDA Church asked the Denominational leader Pastor Matthews referenced above - to pray for them on some issue whatever it was. Gregory is right, SDA's are not "worshipping" their denominational leader any more than Christians or Jews who ask for the intercession of the departed.

The Hispanic part of my family uses this word: chismosa to describe someone who is a gossip or who likes it.  Chismet is the noun for gossip.

This story is making me a chismosa because I can't guess who in the world it would be. Wouldn't be right to ask for the chismet?  :D