ClubAdventist is back!

16-year old Uganda boy....heart problems....

Taylor

I have a friend who is a missionary in Uganda with the GC. To make a long story short, they are close friends with a dear 16 year old Ugandan SDA young man who has a heart condition for which he needs surgery. Today, Loma Linda University Hospital approved to do this surgery for this young man. He and his older brother will be staying at our home during this time. They will be here for likely 2 months.

The next hurtle is the visas. I think it wil all work out as so many miracles have happened already but do remember them in prayer this weekend that they can get it all worked out. This young man's name is Emmanuel and my friend says he is just the dearest sweetest kid and she is so happy he has the opportunity to come to the USA for this surgery for without it he would die.

Pray that this experience will be good for both young men. The older brother speaks English which will be a huge plus. They are from a wonderful SDA family but one that is very poor so the USA will be quite the shock to them because they are used to living in a mud hut.

Pray that we can make their stay here enjoyable and that God will use the surgeons hands to give this boy a chance at a normal life.

Thanks!

• Administrators

Talor,

I will pray for Emmanuel's healing. Also, for his older brother's adaptation into the US culture. And for your family who are so gracious to offer hosting to these two young men.

As for the visas ... it appears that miracles have already happened and I am sure the visa issue will be no problem for our Lord to solve.

Please keep us informed.

Love,

Naomi

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

I have such mixed emotions about this.

On the one hand, it is good to save a life. Emotionally, I feel good this is being done.

On the other hand, the money spent saving this life could, if spent differently, save many more lives.

And lastly, what Africa really needs is fewer people and more wealth, and if the real goal is to achieve that end, one would spend the money differently again

/Bevin - whose daughter is leaving on Monday for 2+ years in the Peace Corp in Africa

Loma Linda makes it a practice to offer free surgeries in life and death cases like this for people who could never afford such a surgery. The airline tickets weren't that terribly expensive (relatively speaking) and we will be glad to feed them. Usually people who give for a specific project, give because it touches their heart strings and might well not give for another project no matter how worthy or necessary. I think this surgery will not only benefit this young man but the donors who helped to pay his way over as they are so happy to be able to do this at this time. The doctor and hospital are volunteering their time and care.

This young man could very well end up being a leader in his community or in his church. He might end up being a very average man with an average family but I think the surgery has merit no matter what level of expertise or education he achieves post surgery. I think that when we have the chance to save a life, it is always worth it.

The visas have come through for this young man and his brother to come together. We are so thankful to God for this miracle as it is all fallen into place in such a short time. God is good!

However, Bravus, I do understand the thing about how that money could save even more lives. That is always something that weighs heavily on my mind as I LOVE helping people and there is never enough money to do all I wish to do. People are so precious and needy the world over that it is overwhelming. Personally I just see myself as one of the many puzzle pieces making this possible for this young man.

• Administrators

Taylor, I am so glad that you have seen yet another miracle. The visas came through.

There is no action without a reaction. Many lives will be touched by this act of generosity; from the Drs and staff at Loma Linda to the flight attendents who assist them on the plane, officials in both countries, friends, family, etc.

As for the money issue. Just think what a difference it would make in our world if everyone would do what they can to help one in serious need. Many/perhaps most don't have lots of money to spend, even for our own health, but God can take what we are willing to give and make it enough.

Still praying, please keep us updated.

Naomi

• 2 weeks later...

Emmanuel is currently in surgery. Please pray for him that all will go well. He is very weak but is doing better after being on IV's at the hospital for the last 3 days.

• Administrators

Hi Taylor, Kathy brought me up to speed last evening on Emmanuel and I have special prayer for him.

Please keep us advised.

Courage

Naomi

He had surgery on Thursday and within an hour his heart had shrunk 30 % which is a great as it was so enlarged. I understand that his liver was even very displaced, pushed way down due to this enlarged heart but the liver has moved back to where it should be. He had a seizure a few hours after surgery which was very frightening to us all since they told us that wasn't common. (And brain damage can happen with some types of seizures.) They immediately sedated him, and took him for an EEG scan and other such tests and so far they say his brain appears normal. (i.e. he didn't have a stroke or brain damage from the seizure.)

He is now talking and definately seems very normal but is still very tired as his poor little body isn't used to these medications and the surgery is very intense for anyone. (When I say poor little body I mean it. This boys has been so ill because of his hear that he is about 5 foot 6 inches tall and weighs a mere 86 lbs!) But they had him up and walking some today and they said he did exceptionally well with that.

Sabbath at church, I talked to my Sabbath School class and told them about some of Emmanuel and his brother's needs. (They really need clothes that are decent, shoes etc. We also found out that their father really needs a bicycle. (The missionary family who came with them told us that. These boys would never ask for anything.). They said the father's bike was just plain pitiful and falling apart. A new one costs about $80 dollars. As a farmer, he makes between $1.00 to $1.50 a day so this amount of money is astronomical to him. People in the Sabbath School Class opened their wallets and within about 3 minutes nearly $400 had been given! This is enough to get the father the bike and to purchase some very much needed clothes and shoes for Emmanuel and his older brother Andama. Needless to say we were all so touched by this classes generosity.

When Emmanuel was told about the bike for his father his whole face lit up. He was SOOO very happy for his father. We also told him he was going to get some new clothes. He smiled big for that too. It will be ever so much fun to take them shopping when he gets out of the hospital.

Both Emmanuel and his older brother Andama are very dear young men. Everyone at the hospital loves them. One nurse told me "I am so upset I am not on the schedule to work again till Sunday night! I hope he is still here, I want to see him!! Emmanuel is the dearest young man. He never complains and always has such a sweet smile even when he is in pain." I assured him that Emmanuel would still be in the ICU Sunday.

Thanks so much for all your prayers!!

The way the money came through for these boys to come to the USA for this surgery was truely a miracle. A lady back east decided to send the entire amount of money in for their transportation. However, she didn't have all she needed, so she took out a bank loan. Her daughter, who is not a practicing Christian heard about it and got her fellow beuticians to donate a few hours one afternoon and together they came up with $900. Since that had gone so well, they posted a sign about this boy and an annonymous man called and asked how much more they needed, and sent them the money for the balance. They still have no idea who this man is, but I say that our God can do anything and that miracles are not a thing of the past but of the present as well!

• Administrators

Quote:
but I say that our God can do anything and that miracles are not a thing of the past but of the present as well!

Amen!

• Administrators

Praise be to God.

Taylor, that is such good news. Thank you for sharing.

Naomi

Emmanuel was released today from the hospital and will be staying with us for approximately the next month till he is strong enough to go back to Uganda. Thanks so much for you all your prayers. He is so happy to be feeling ever so much better!!!

• Administrators

That is excellent news. Thank you so much for keeping us up-to-date.

Happy Sabbath

Naomi

Today we went to our home church which is very large (2,000 members). The pastor spoke about Emmanuel, thanking God for saving his life through surgery and had him stand for the congregation to see. The place errupted in wild applause and many came to talk to them afterwards. It made them feel so special. After church so many came up and spoke to them and just treated them like they were the most important people at church today. It made me proud to be part of such a caring SDA family.

• Administrators

WOW ... too bad that wasn't on video so we could all see!

That is such a wonder testimony for Emmanuel, you and your church.

Thank you for sharing

• 2 weeks later...

~Shalom~

Father in Heaven, we do pray and thankyou for hte progress that Emmanuel is making in the healingprocess; we thank You for older brother Andama as well and the reception of the two in the hospital and homes and church. Delight to bless them above that which they are able to ask or think. you are the G-d that healeth Holy Is Your Name.Amein

ShabbatShalom

Sincerely,Mrs.Rabbi

• Administrators

Hey Taylor,

Do we have a new progress report?

Happy Sabbath

Naomi