ClubAdventist is back!

Watering while Black

GHansen

• 2 weeks later...

The "pastor" has now initiated a lawsuit. In the end, racial issues overrule most everything. Sounds more like a blm type than a Christian pastor. People bring trouble upon themselves, cry racism when racism has nothing to do with the problem; then, want to get paid.

In the 60s, a Black young man was driving drunk down a major boulevard, swerving across lanes. Note that anyone injured or killed in an accident would have likely been black. This incident occurred in a community that was mostly Black. The driver was handcuffed. Somehow, his mother arrived at the scene. She physically attacked one of the officers. In review. a Black man was driving in a very reckless manner, endangering property and lives of Black people. This dangerous behavior was stopped by white officers who were then attacked by members of the community, specifically, the mother of the drunk driver. Other [black] people got involved. That was the beginning of the Watts riots.

If you want to avoid problems with law enforcement personnel, obey the law. Be respectful and cooperative. If people of any color want to fight, produce or acquire a weapon, flee, turn a criminal matter into a social justice cause, problems will arise.

• Moderators

You have said: 

If you want to avoid problems with law enforcement personnel, obey the law. Be respectful and cooperative. 

I have substantial agreement with that.  It should be noted that my 2nd oldest son will retire in early October from a job of working many years in law enforcement.

But, you did not cite the applicable law that was involved in this case.   I ask you what law gave those police officers to demand that he identify himself and then arrest him for a failure to do so?

The pastor has filed a lawsuit on the following basis:

*  The police were trespassing on that property, and without legal justification for being on the property.  A person watering flowers is not justification to think that a crime is being committed.

*  It is pure racism if the justification was that a "black" person was watering the flowers.

* The applicable State law only allowed for the police to demand identification if the person is in a "public" place.  A person watering flowers on private property is not in a public place and therefore the pastor was not required to produce identification.

*  Your reference to an 80 year old case has no relationship to the legal issues in this case.

NOTE:  If it had been me, I would have produced identification.

Gregory

1 hour ago, Gregory Matthews said:

You have said: 

I have substantial agreement with that.  It should be noted that my 2nd oldest son will retire in early October from a job of working many years in law enforcement.

But, you did not cite the applicable law that was involved in this case.   I ask you what law gave those police officers to demand that he identify himself and then arrest him for a failure to do so?

The pastor has filed a lawsuit on the following basis:

*  The police were trespassing on that property, and without legal justification for being on the property.  A person watering flowers is not justification to think that a crime is being committed.

*  It is pure racism if the justification was that a "black" person was watering the flowers.

* The applicable State law only allowed for the police to demand identification if the person is in a "public" place.  A person watering flowers on private property is not in a public place and therefore the pastor was not required to produce identification.

*  Your reference to an 80 year old case has no relationship to the legal issues in this case.

1 hour ago, Gregory Matthews said:

That's because you don't have an attitude problem.  The so-called racist abuse of mostly Black people usually begins with individuals refusing to cooperate with police. That was the case in the Watts riots, Rodney King, George Floyd, and other contemporary events. When police detain someone, the first thing they do is assess the attitude of the detainee. It only takes a few seconds. It involves an assessment of body language, tone of voice, remarks, and the like. A bad attitude on the detainee's part is more likely to lead to an unfavorable outcome. Whether the actions of the police were perfectly legal or not, producing an identification is an easy thing to do. The police were responding to a complaint from a neighbor who said ~there was a strange car in the driveway and a man who wasn't supposed to be there was there. Technically legal or not, that is common sense justification for the police to ask for identification, identification that most likely would have resolved the situation.

A prison chaplain once asked me if I knew how to tell when an inmate is lying. I didn't know. "His lips are moving," he responded. Again, it's perfectly reasonable for an officer to ask for "proof" of identity. The house could have been full of dead bodies or about to be broken into. 

Agree with GHansen here, this is a classic "professional victim". He's contributing to the stereotype and that nonsense HAS to stop before anything can get any better. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Regarding the Watts riots: Los Angeles decided to do something for the Black community after the Watts riots; consequently, a hospital was constructed in the Willowbrook area, located between Watts and Compton. The hospital was named King/Drew Memorial Hospital. The administrators and staff were primarily people of color [Black]. It became known as "Killer King" due to the number of deaths and injuries resulting from indifference, incompetence, and other factors leading to unexpectedly grim outcomes for patients. It was also riddled by corruption at the administrative level. The hospital was eventually closed.

https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-kingdrewpulitzer-sg-storygallery.html

"Killer King" L.A. Hospital In Peril - CBS News