ClubAdventist is back!

Hate the sin and the sinner!

GHansen

Long time heard the adage, "Hate the sin but love the sinner." Seemed more or less impossible; nevertheless, I mumbled the expression while wondering about its veracity. David wasn't shy about HATING the sinner. He made it clear that God also hates not only sin but sinners. David hated them too.

Ps 5:5  The boastful shall not stand before Your eyes; You hate all who do iniquity.

Ps 11:5  The LORD tries the righteous: but the wicked and him that loves violence his soul hates.

Ps 31:6  I hate those who regard vain idols, But I trust in the LORD.

Ps 119:113  Samekh. I hate those who are double-minded, But I love Your law.

Ps 139:21  Do I not hate those who hate You, O LORD? And do I not loathe those who rise up against You?

Ps 139:22  I hate them with the utmost hatred; They have become my enemies.

• Members

I do agree with you to a certain point! Are we not all sinners? So than does God hate all of us?? I think not!!

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

2 hours ago, phkrause said:

So than does God hate all of us?? I think not!!

The passages are clear about who God hates, i.e., the boastful, those who do iniquity, the doubleminded, those who hate Him, those who rise up against him. David included others, such as idol worshippers. Even those who have been highly blessed, such as Israel, once we fall out of favor, he detests and destroys. The entire nation was destroyed for unbelief after they came out of Egypt. A few remained, most did not. It makes no sense at all to say God destroys those he loves. Once we reject Him, perfectly sensible that he would reject us.

• Members
20 hours ago, GHansen said:

The passages are clear about who God hates, i.e., the boastful, those who do iniquity, the doubleminded, those who hate Him, those who rise up against him. David included others, such as idol worshippers. Even those who have been highly blessed, such as Israel, once we fall out of favor, he detests and destroys. The entire nation was destroyed for unbelief after they came out of Egypt. A few remained, most did not. It makes no sense at all to say God destroys those he loves. Once we reject Him, perfectly sensible that he would reject us.

Exactly! The reason I said that statement:

20 hours ago, GHansen said:

So than does God hate all of us?? I think not!!

is the way you titled this thread! So than it comes down to the type of sinner and sin?

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

ph, I was merely pointing out that the old adage "Love the sinner but hate the sin" is doubletalk and nonsense. It's a contradiction of what is written in those Psalms, several of them, not just one or two. There are numerous falsehoods that have crept into Christianity through the centuries, this being one of them. Anyone who reads, even casually, must notice how often God massacred people in the OT. The Egyptians, for example, drowned in the Red Sea. They weren't put to death with an IV set up by a medical professional, they were buried under tons of water. Obviously, God didn't "love" those people in the sense that the word connotes to us.

"He that believeth not is condemned already." You see that, the whole world lieth in wickedness. The people we see around us, unbelievers, atheists, rebels, rogues and so on are going to be destroyed. The Holy Spirit  convicts the world because of unbelief in the death and resurrection of Christ. That's what gets people destroyed-- unbelief. David said he hates those who hate God. God hates those who do iniquity. This isn't just an OT irregularity. The inhabitants of Jerusalem were massacred, numerous times, like the Egyptians, for unbelief. God is not a respecter of persons