ClubAdventist is back!

Transgender and LGBTQ+ rights

• Members

How common is transgender treatment regret, detransitioning?

Many states have enacted or contemplated limits or outright bans on transgender medical treatment, with conservative U.S. lawmakers saying they are worried about young people later regretting irreversible body-altering treatment.

https://apnews.com/article/transgender-treatment-regret-detransition-371e927ec6e7a24cd9c77b5371c6ba2b

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Kentucky governor vetoes sweeping GOP transgender measure

FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — Kentucky’s Democratic governor issued an election-year veto Friday of a sweeping Republican bill aimed at regulating the lives of transgender youths that includes banning access to gender-affirming health care and restricting the bathrooms they can use.

https://apnews.com/article/transgender-health-kentucky-2d0cc56d511b0f435db68c8c2579cbd7?

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Members

Does a Proposed Florida Law Ban Insurance Coverage for Gender-Affirming Care?

A proposed Florida bill would institute a complete ban on health insurance coverage for gender-affirming care.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hb1421-gender-affirming-insurance-ban/?

phkrause

There are other medical procedures insurance companies won't pay for . What is so special about this one? What parent in their right mind would be against their child becoming more mature before making such a monumental life altering decision?

‘I literally lost organs:’ Why detransitioned teens regret changing genders

June 18, 2022 9:01am 

“I was failed by the system. I literally lost organs.”

When Chloe was 12 years old, she decided she was transgender. At 13, she came out to her parents. That same year, she was put on puberty blockers and prescribed testosterone. At 15, she underwent a double mastectomy. Less than a year later, she realized she’d made a mistake — all by the time she was 16 years old.

Now 17, Chloe is one of a growing cohort called “detransitioners” — those who seek to reverse a gender transition, often after realizing they actually do identify with their biological sex. Tragically, many will struggle for the rest of their lives with the irreversible medical consequences of a decision they made as minors.

“I can’t stay quiet,” said Chloe. “I need to do something about this and to share my own cautionary tale.”

At 12 years old, Chloe Cole decided she was transgender. At 13, she was put on puberty blockers and prescribed testosterone. At 15, she underwent a double mastectomy. Less than a year later, she realized she’d made a mistake.

In recent years, the number of children experiencing gender dysphoria in the West has skyrocketed. Exact figures are difficult to come by, but, between 2009 and 2019, children being referred for transitioning treatment in the United Kingdom increased 1,000% among biological males and 4,400% among biological females. Meanwhile, the number of young people identifying as transgender in the US has almost doubled since 2017, according to a new Centers for Disease Control & Prevention report.

Historically, transitioning from male to female was vastly more common, with this cohort typically experiencing persistent gender dysphoria from a very young age. Recently, however, the status quo has reversed, and female-to-male transitions have become the overwhelming majority.

Dr. Lisa Littman, a former professor of Behavioral and Social Sciences at Brown University, coined the term “rapid onset gender dysphoria” to describe this subset of transgender youth, typically biological females who become suddenly dysphoric during or shortly after puberty. Littman believes this may be due to adolescent girls’ susceptibility to peer influence on social media.

“I can’t stay quiet,” said Cole, as a boy and today as a girl. “I need to do something about this and to share my own cautionary tale.”
Courtesy of Chloe Cole

Helena Kerschner, a 23-year-old detransitioner from Cincinnati, Ohio, who was born a biological female, first felt gender dysphoric at age 14. She says Tumblr sites filled with transgender activist content spurred her transition.

“I was going through a period where I was just really isolated at school, so I turned to the Internet,” she recalled. In her real life, Kerschner had a falling out with friends at school; online however, she found a community that welcomed her. “My dysphoria was definitely triggered by this online community. I never thought about my gender or had a problem with being a girl before going on Tumblr.”

“There was a lot of negativity around being a cis, heterosexual, white girl, and I took those messages really, really personally.”

Helena Kerschner, on how the online trans community made her feel pressured to change gender

She said she felt political pressure to transition, too. “The community was very social justice-y. There was a lot of negativity around being a cis, heterosexual, white girl, and I took those messages really, really personally.”

Chloe Cole, a 17-year-old student in California, had a similar experience when she joined Instagram at 11. “I started being exposed to a lot of LGBT content and activism,” she said. “I saw how trans people online got an overwhelming amount of support, and the amount of praise they were getting really spoke to me because, at the time, I didn’t really have a lot of friends of my own.”

I am certified in sexual therapy by the National Christian Counselors Association and one of my children is transgender.  I have written a workbook for those experiencing this that is available on Amazon.com. 

There is a lot we don't know.  I think acknowledging that is the place to start.  Then we should distinguish between gender dysphoria and transgender.  Gender dysphoria is the psychological condition that causes a person to identify as the opposite gender than their birth sex.  Transgender is a person that has taken steps to live, at least part of the time, as the opposite gender from their birth sex.

About 50% of individuals seeking professional help for gender dysphoria drop out of therapy.  What does that mean?  We don't know what that means other than that they no longer continue in therapy.  If they had started taking hormones, that stops.  They never transition surgically.  Some may commit suicide.  Others may crossdress or use other noninvasive coping measures.  Others may just live with it and not take any steps to transition.

A big misconception is that transgenders are gay.  My son is not gay.  He is sexually attracted to women and identifies as one.  He calls himself a lesbian.  Caitlyn Jenner, one of the most famous transgenders, is the same way.  He (or she) is attracted to women and has completely transitioned to one.

Before 2016, most gender dysphoria cases were diagnosed among prepubescent children.  Most of them would grow out of it but of those that did grow out of it, most would become gay as teenagers.  Most were also boys identifying as girls.  Since 2016 we have seen a spike in late-onset gender dysphoria (as is the case with my son).  Now, most cases are late-onset and it is more common among females identifying as males. 

What causes it?  We are too early in studying it to know for certain.  How should we treat it?  We are trying to figure that out too.  Unfortunately, most studies that have been done have had an agenda and have not been scientifically sound.  The Obama Administration wanted Medicare to cover gender affirmation surgery but a government review of the studies that had been done concluded it lacked evidence to determine if the surgery is helpful.  The studies that have been done do not have a control group.  They follow up shortly after surgery and are not long-term studies.  What we have seen in Europe is making it more difficult to transition there.  The suicide rate after surgery is still very high.

I do support laws that prevent minors from transitioning but question how effective they are.  Most of the kids that want to transition will not change their mind before they are 18.  If we could prevent them from transitioning until 25, that would more than likely make an impact.  However, these people need help.  They need a lot of help.  Psychologically, they need far more help than someone who is gay.  Homosexuality isn't even classified as a disorder.  Most gay individuals that need psychological help simply need help with depression or anxiety.  Transgenders need that and more.  We certainly do not want to restrict psychological services for those experiencing gender dysphoria regardless of their age.

The church has a role to play too.  There are three lenses used to view gender dysphoria.  1. The Integrity Lens, 2. The Disability Lens, 3. The Diversity Lens.  Sadly, many Christian view gender dysphoria through the Integrity Lens.  They consider it sinful.  Their proposed solution is "suck it up buttercup.".  That view is not helpful.  It isolates people from the church and increases their risk of suicide.  The Adventist church views gender dysphoria through the Disability Lens.  We see the person as broken and the condition as part of the fall.  We understand why they will use coping mechanisms to deal with it.  The only major concern is that the person not engage in prohibited sexual relationships such as gay or premarrital sex.  The LGBTQ+ community views gender dysphoria through the Diversity Lens.  For them it falls within the range of the normal variety of human development.  It is no different than having blue eyes or being left handed.  There is nothing abnormal about it.  The church (embracing the Disability Lens) should love these people just as we love those with cancer.  We may not agree with their treatment but view it as such - it is treatment.  If they are crossdressing, taking hormones or whatever.  They have an illness and they are treating it.  That is not sin.  Prohibited sexual relationships are sin.  Cross-dressing or gender affirming surgery are not sin.  We need to love them and abstain from giving them advice unless they ask for it.  And if they do ask for it, don't pretend to be an expert in something that no one is an expert in.  We really don't know enough about this condition to tell other people what to do.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Members

GOP lawmakers override veto of transgender bill in Kentucky

FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — Republican lawmakers in Kentucky on Wednesday swept aside the Democratic governor’s veto of a bill regulating some of the most personal aspects of life for transgender young people — from banning access to gender-affirming health care to restricting the bathrooms they can use.

https://apnews.com/article/transgender-care-bill-kentucky-legislature-e7c0bfb0e6cdfb1144451efe677108d6?

phkrause

• Members

Kansas passes trans bathroom bill; Arkansas OKs own version

TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) — A Kansas bill to impose some of the nation’s broadest bathroom restrictions and ban transgender people from changing the name or gender on their driver’s licenses cleared the Legislature by margins Tuesday that suggest backers could override the Democratic governor’s expected veto.

https://apnews.com/article/transgender-rights-bathroom-bill-kansas-cbdc14be5bf1fb6e1a0749cad52e8ebc?

US would bar full ban on trans athletes but allow exceptions

WASHINGTON (AP) — Schools and colleges across the U.S. would be forbidden from enacting outright bans on transgender athletes under a proposal released Thursday from the Biden administration, but teams could create some limits in certain cases — for example, to ensure fairness.

https://apnews.com/article/trans-athletes-sports-ban-2f6cf412d306e73e68efa2377fb5081a

High court: Trans girl can run girls track in West Virginia

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court on Thursday allowed a 12-year-old transgender girl in West Virginia to continue competing on her middle school’s girls sports teams while a lawsuit over a state ban continues.

https://apnews.com/article/supreme-court-transgender-sports-west-virginia-2a449f7066ba36fe16934f149db6a655

phkrause

• Members

FL Senate would prohibit transgender minors from receiving puberty blockers, other procedures

The Florida Senate Tuesday approved a wholesale prohibition on allowing transgender minors to receive gender affirming care in the form of hormone replacement therapies, puberty blockers, or any surgeries with the goal of “sex-reassignment” for a minor.

https://floridaphoenix.com/2023/04/04/fl-senate-would-prohibit-transgender-minors-from-receiving-puberty-blockers-other-procedures/?

phkrause

• Members

Republicans’ fixation on trans issues could backfire, pollsters say

Analysts say both parties must walk a fine line on the issue to win voters

https://rollcall.com/2023/03/31/republicans-fixation-on-trans-issues-could-backfire-pollsters-say/?

phkrause

• Members

Indiana, Idaho governors sign bans on gender-affirming care

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Republican governors in Indiana and Idaho have signed into law bills banning gender-affirming care for minors, making those states the latest to restrict transgender health care as Republican-led legislatures continue to curb LGBTQ+ rights this year.

https://apnews.com/article/indiana-governor-gender-affirming-care-ban-09bdabec268dbd8d79397a43f21694ed?

phkrause

• Members

Contentious anti-trans ‘bathroom ban’ is quickly moving through FL Legislature

Measure is part of a crackdown being pushed in Republican-led states

https://floridaphoenix.com/2023/04/07/contentious-anti-trans-bathroom-ban-is-quickly-moving-through-fl-legislature/?

phkrause

• Members

'Making up a boogeyman': Donald Trump Jr. torched for creating anti-trans scenario 'that never happens'

Anti-transgender rhetoric is on the rise within the Republican Party, from conservative commentator Michael Knowles' suggesting transgender people should be "eradicated," to Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene's (R-GA) anti-trans Twitter rant following the recent Nashville school mass shooting.

https://www.alternet.org/trump-jr-trans/?

phkrause

Would be beneficial if post would actually reflect  what was actually said instead of the typical hysteria.

Michael Knowles hits back when left distorts CPAC speech saying ‘transgenderism must be eradicated’

A conservative radio show host is under fire for making comments about the transgender community that he says he never made.

At issue is what host Michael Knowles of The Daily Wire said about the transgender community while speaking at this year’s Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC).

According to at least one Democrat lawmaker and several establishment media outlets, Knowles said that transgender people must be “eradicated.”

But is that what he really said?

Listen for yourself:

“On one side of the debate, you’ve got the liberals who argue that third graders should be taught to change their sex in schools. On the other side of the debate, you’ve got the conservatives who say that we should wait until fourth grade. Doesn’t seem like much of a difference to me,” Knowles began.

He then proceeded to explain why exactly transgenderism is an issue.

“The problem with transgenderism is not that it’s inappropriate for children under the age of nine. The problem with transgenderism is that it isn’t true. The problem with transgenderism is that it puts forward a delusional vision of human nature that denies the reality and importance of sexual difference and complementarity,” he said.

“The problem with transgenderism is that its acceptance at any level necessarily entails the complete destruction of women’s bathrooms, women’s sports, all of the specific rights and spaces that women currently enjoy,” he added.

Getting to the core of his argument, it’s at this point that Knowles touched on the part of his speech that would later draw controversy.

“There can be no middle way in dealing with transgenderism. It is all or nothing. If transgenderism is true, if men really can become women, then it’s true for everybody of all ages. If transgenderism is false, as it is, if men really can’t become women, as they cannot, then it’s false for everybody too,” he said.

“And if it’s false, then we should not indulge it, especially since that indulgence requires taking away the rights and customs of so many people. If it is false, then for the good of society and especially for the good of the poor people who have fallen prey to this confusion, transgenderism must be eradicated from public life entirely — the whole preposterous ideology at every level,” he added.

Now, listen closely to what he said and then view the headlines below:

Do you spot a difference between what he said and they reported?

The difference appears to be that, whereas the left is accusing Knowles of having called for transgender people to be “eradicated,” what he’d actually done was call and push for transgenderism — the ideology — to be eliminated.

What’s meant by the “ideology” of transgenderism? Well, just take a look around you. How many corporations are promoting transgenderism as if it’s the most normal thing in the world? How many teachers are indoctrinating their students in lessons about being “non-binary” or “gender fluid”? How many core American institutions are rewriting language to appease transgender activists?

The point is there’s a difference between the ideology of transgenderism and transgender people themselves.

As astutely noted below by podcast host Elijah Schaffer, calling for the eradication of transgenderism is basically equivalent to calling for the eradication of cancer.

But when people like President Joe Biden, a Democrat, call for the eradication of cancer, does that mean they’re calling for the eradication of cancer patients?

Evidently, calling for the eradication of cancer does mean calling for the eradication of cancer patients.

What else would explain the hysterical, unhinged response that ensued following Knowles’ appearance at CPAC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

House approves trans athlete ban for girls and women’s teams

WASHINGTON (AP) — Transgender athletes whose biological sex assigned at birth was male would be barred from competing on girls or women’s sports teams at federally supported schools and colleges under legislation pushed through Thursday by House Republicans checking off another high-profile item on their social agenda.

https://apnews.com/article/congress-transgender-women-sports-ban-athletes-1c58c20cac2b191e323e4376d7949a2d?

Biden proposal would bar schools from enacting outright bans on trans athletes

WASHINGTON (AP) — Schools and colleges across the U.S. would be forbidden from enacting outright bans on transgender athletes under a proposal released Thursday by the Biden administration, but teams could create some limits in certain cases — for example, to ensure fairness.

https://apnews.com/article/trans-athletes-sports-ban-2f6cf412d306e73e68efa2377fb5081a?

North Carolina House approves ban on transgender athletes

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Transgender girls in North Carolina would be prohibited from joining female sports teams in middle school, high school and college under legislation passed Wednesday by the Republican-controlled House in one of its first actions since attaining a supermajority earlier this month.

https://apnews.com/article/transgender-sports-ban-north-carolina-e09882f3f3e2ace72de2004d2f438a7e?

phkrause

• Members

Montana House speaker silences trans lawmaker for 2nd day

HELENA, Mont. (AP) — A transgender Montana lawmaker was silenced for a second day Friday as her Republican colleagues refused to let her speak on the chamber’s floor until she apologizes for saying lawmakers would have “blood on their hands” if they passed a law to ban gender-affirming medical care for transgender youth.

https://apnews.com/article/transgender-lawmaker-silenced-montana-censure-ee3e30ee6a1cd7c0faa8fd072d580a94?

Montana transgender lawmaker barred by GOP from House floor

HELENA, Mont. (AP) — Montana Republicans barred transgender lawmaker Zooey Zephyr from the House floor on Wednesday, wielding “decorum” rules after she rebuked colleagues supporting a ban on gender-affirming care for children and protested their efforts to silence her.

https://apnews.com/article/zooey-zephyr-transgender-montana-house-updates-3054b6bed9ac04920249e6302821e130?

phkrause

• Members

Gender-affirming care has a long history in the U.S. and not just for transgender people

In 1976, a woman from Roanoke, Virginia, named Rhoda received a prescription for two drugs: estrogen and progestin. Twelve months later, a local reporter noted Rhoda’s surprisingly soft skin and visible breasts. He wrote that the drugs had made her “so completely female.”

https://kentuckylantern.com/2023/04/19/gender-affirming-care-has-a-long-history-in-the-u-s-and-not-just-for-transgender-people/?

phkrause

Drugs cannot make anyone "so completely female",

No matter how many drugs are pumped into someone's body, how many amputations are done, or how many cosmetic surgeries or years of counseling no one can introduce a completely female/male as we were designed.

Females have a xx pair of sex chromosomes, males, an xy pair. It goes without saying that Bruce Jenner has the male XY. If he has become completely female how does that work? A baby's gender is determined at birth.

Can the Bruce Jenner's  claiming to have become female, grow ovaries, a uterus. become pregnant and carry a child for 9 months?

I have four sons, they can masquerade as female and show some female characteristics, but they will always be male.

A female claiming to be male cannot get prostate cancer. The prostate is a necessary part of the male reproductive system. How many females claiming to be males can develop the same type of male reproductive system?

How sad when those that claim a belief in a God that created us male and female seem to believe that "man" can now take God's creation and transform it.

There is something wrong obviously, but to claim drugs make someone "so completely female.” is simply false

• Members

Cosmetic to critical: Blue states help trans health coverage

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — For most of her life in New Mexico, Christina Wood felt like she had to hide her identity as a transgender woman. So six years ago she moved to Oregon, where she had readier access to the gender-affirming health care she needed to live as her authentic self.

https://apnews.com/article/transgender-gender-affirming-health-care-bcc6ef34aa2fee923e79288fd0f1b56f?

phkrause

• Members

‘Blood on your hands’: Montana lawmaker’s words not unusual

HELENA, Mont. (AP) — The swift punishment brought down on Zooey Zephyr, a transgender lawmaker in Montana, began over words that others in American politics have used without hesitation or consequence: saying opponents have “blood” on their hands.

https://apnews.com/article/montana-transgender-lawmaker-zooey-zephyr-e44017dee7bb3a86cc06eb407533cf4f?

phkrause

• Members

Biden proposal on transgender student athletes met with praise but also questions

WASHINGTON — Transgender legal scholars and advocates say they were relieved to see the Biden administration extend some protections for transgender students’ sports participation at a time when bans are being enacted by multiple states.

https://floridaphoenix.com/2023/04/29/biden-proposal-on-transgender-student-athletes-met-with-praise-but-also-questions/?

Alabama resumes its cruel war on transgender youth

You can’t call what’s happening to transgender youth in Alabama a moral panic. It has elements of that, but it’s more like a crusade.

https://alabamareflector.com/2023/04/24/alabama-resumes-its-cruel-war-on-transgender-youth/?

phkrause

• Members

A Montana lawmaker suggested she’d rather risk her child’s suicide than let her transition

A recent comment by a Montana state lawmaker who sponsored legislation to ban gender-affirming medical care for transgender minors has gone viral and drawn backlash online.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/montana-state-lawmakers-remarks-draws-backlash-rcna81983?

Kansas legislators impose sweeping anti-trans bathroom law

TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) — Republican legislators in Kansas enacted what may be the most sweeping transgender bathroom law in the U.S. on Thursday, overriding the Democratic governor’s veto of the measure without having a clear idea of how their new law will be enforced.

https://apnews.com/article/transgender-rights-bathroom-law-kansas-b3d068afa2bc02bb15314ee04e8e3899?

phkrause

• Members

Zooey Zephyr row spotlights rise of GOP far-right caucuses

BILLINGS, Mont. (AP) — The banishment of transgender lawmaker Zooey Zephyr from Montana’s House floor has showcased the rising power of hard-line conservatives — organized under the banner of the State Freedom Caucus Network — who are currently leveraging divisive social issues to gain influence in 11 statehouses.

https://apnews.com/article/zooey-zephyr-freedom-caucus-republicans-fc3de20bb1f4ea4deba6d33bd20cdf31?

phkrause

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Scoop: N.C. company weighs in on anti-trans bills

Replacements Ltd., the Greensboro-based china, crystal and silverware retail giant, is weighing in on numerous bills advancing in the state legislature that would curb the rights of transgender youth.

https://www.axios.com/local/raleigh/2023/05/09/anti-trans-bills-north-carolina-replacements?

phkrause

• Members

Wave of anti-transgender bills in Republican-led states divides US faith leaders

As Republican-governed states across the nation advance myriad bills targeting transgender young people, America’s faith leaders are starkly divided in their assessment. Some view the legislation as reflecting God’s will; others voice outrage that Christianity is being invoked to justify laws they view as cruel and hateful.

https://apnews.com/article/religion-transgender-lgbtq-catholic-southern-baptist-94baa3125be7be46057fa398783509f4?

Conflict over transgender rights simmers across the US

As transgender people have increasingly gained acceptance and visibility, conservative lawmakers have zeroed in on restricting their rights: keeping transgender children off girls’ sports teams and out of certain bathrooms, and blocking them from receiving gender-affirming medical care.

https://apnews.com/article/lgbtq-laws-states-gender-affirming-zephyr-fc2528326823c8232cb0aaa7ece0beab

phkrause

• Members

Coverage of Gender-Affirming Care Is an Unequal Patchwork

Lawsuits brought by transgender employees show how state agencies fight against paying for gender-affirming care for some people while others are covered.

https://www.propublica.org/article/gender-affirming-care-coverage-lawsuits?

phkrause