ClubAdventist is back!

The Line Between Religious Liberty and Gay Rights

Dr. Shane

I understand the clash between religious liberty and gay rights.  However, I think it is not as pronounced, or shouldn't be, among Adventists.  What do I mean?  Well, let's consider the clash between the religious liberty of other Christians and gay rights first.  A baker doesn't want to decorate a cake for a same-sex couple because in his belief, doing so would make him a partaker of the sin.  That isn't that strange of a belief.  For many years motels would not rent a room out to a man and a woman if they didn't share the same last name.  If they did, they felt like they were partakers in the sin.

The Adventist perspective tends to be a little different because we cherish religious liberty so much.  In our belief, we are willing to extend the liberty to others that we want them to extend to us.  Does doing business with someone committing a sin make the business owner a partaker in the sin?  Well, let's say I am a homebuilder and a couple comes to me and asks me to build them a home.  I know the couple is not married.  I know if I build the home for them, they will use it to live in sin.  Is it sinful for me to build the home for them?  Am I a partaker in their sin if I do?  What if I own a gas station and a Hindu man comes to buy gas on his way to worship in his temple.  He will bow down in front of graven images while in that temple.  Without my gas, he cannot get to the temple.  If I sell him the gas that allows him to go to his temple, am I a partaker in his sin?  What if I run a drug store that sells condoms?  Is it my responsibility to make sure only married people are purchasing condoms?  If I sell condoms to those that are not married, am I a partaker of their sin?  I think these examples demonstrate that it is not a clear-cut or black-and-white issue.

I am an ordained minister and I will not officiate a wedding for a same-sex couple.  I do believe that would make me a partaker in the sin.  So, there is a line someplace.  I am also a businessman and would not have any issue building a house for a same-sex couple.  Where do you think that line should be?

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Members

You bring up many good points! I agree with all of them!

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}