ClubAdventist is back!

Credit Cards on Sabbath

Dr. Shane

When I have attended campmeeting, I have been able to purchase a voucher for a Sabbath meal.  When it came time to eat, there were Adventist students working in the kitchen to serve those of us with vouchers our meal.

Is there a violation of the Sabbath Commandment?

Now I consider going out to eat in a restaurant on Sabbath and paying with my credit card.  Just like the voucher, I am not paying for the meal on Sabbath.  I will pay the credit card bill on another day.  However, one contrast is that those working in the restaurant on Sabbath are not Adventists.  They are not Sabbath-keepers.  So unlike my campmeeting meal, I am not requiring Sabbath-keepers to work on the Sabbath.

It is an interesting thought.  I don't have too many answers about this.  I have more questions.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

On 3/29/2023 at 7:18 PM, Dr. Shane said:

When I have attended campmeeting, I have been able to purchase a voucher for a Sabbath meal.  When it came time to eat, there were Adventist students working in the kitchen to serve those of us with vouchers our meal.

Is there a violation of the Sabbath Commandment?

Now I consider going out to eat in a restaurant on Sabbath and paying with my credit card.  Just like the voucher, I am not paying for the meal on Sabbath.  I will pay the credit card bill on another day.  However, one contrast is that those working in the restaurant on Sabbath are not Adventists.  They are not Sabbath-keepers.  So unlike my campmeeting meal, I am not requiring Sabbath-keepers to work on the Sabbath.

It is an interesting thought.  I don't have too many answers about this.  I have more questions.

Are you considering that when it comes time to eating on the Sabbath that Jesus might prefer that you steal the meal instead of paying for it or perhaps skip eating all together - to avoid "violation of the Sabbath Command"? 

• Moderators

NOTE:  This whole subject is satire from "Barely Adventist" and is not actual fact.

Gregory

19 hours ago, Gustave said:

Are you considering that when it comes time to eating on the Sabbath that Jesus might prefer that you steal the meal instead of paying for it or perhaps skip eating all together - to avoid "violation of the Sabbath Command"? 

I have thought about the concept of fasting on Sabbath.  That is a real option.  Certainly not stealing.  Fasting is not a realistic option when there are children.  I think forcing children to fast on Sabbath would be a sure way to make them hate the Sabbath.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Thanks Gregory, I was beginning to wonder if this thread was going to end up with something like if Jesus wanted you to eat on the Sabbath He would cause Manna to fall into open mouths or something like that LOL!