ClubAdventist is back!

Witnessing to Unbelievers

Dr. Shane

We are commanded to witness for Christ but often times those that do not know Jesus are suspicious of "born-again Christians".  Some believe that church folks just want their money.  Others feel that religion condemns everything fun in life.  Witnessing first involves caring for other people.  This is why the Bible says that true religion is caring for the orphans and widows.  Christians need to demonstrate compassion and self-control so that nonbelievers see something they desire to have for themselves.  This will reduce the fear and suspicion that non-believers have about Bible religion.  Our example is crucial.  Without it, our story loses meaning.  

Some of us fall short.  Well, many of us fall short.  We may get impatient at times.  We may get irritable.  We may express anxiety.  Some of us even fall into gossiping.  These things hurt our Christian witness but it is part of our walk.  I have found it helpful to keep a journal and to examine myself daily.  As I do this, I find bad behavior diminishing and better behavior becoming more common.  Guess what.  Others around me observe that too.  Instead of telling other people what we believe they "need to know," let's model the behavior.  It is what we used to call walking the walk.  

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Moderators

Thank you Dr. Shane:

Our expectations about what the Bible says can blind us to what the Bible teaches. Paul becomes our hero, so often we tend not to notice the messages of Acts 18 and Acts 19. But reading carefully, we notice that both chapters record the same basic story, only the location and ending are different. They offer us a challenge of asking ourselves "Am I an Acts 18 Paul or an Acts 19 Paul?"

In Acts 18 Paul is in Corinth. He is teaching in the synagogue. Some people come and oppose his teaching in the synagogue. Paul gives some very sharp, unkind words and leaves in a huff, says that he will confine his teaching to gentiles and stop teaching Jews and finds a new place to teach. However, as he starts his new classes, he realized that several from the synagogue, including the rabbi, came to continue to learn from Paul. We find Paul feeling horrible. Paul almost gave up his ministry and God had to give him a dream to continue his ministry. Then he continued for 6 more months.

In Acts 19 Paul is in Ephesus. He has given up his stupid oath, and is again teaching Jews, and back in synagogue. While in Ephesus the same old problem showed up of people opposing his teaching in the synagogue. Instead of getting upset and speaking unkindly, Paul said that since there were people who did not want him to teach in synagogue, that he would find someplace else to teach and if anyone wanted to continue to study with him they were welcome at the new place. 

It was also while in Ephesus that the idol makers started their riot against Paul. During the riot it was pointed out that never once had Paul blasphemed Artimus. Paul's success in Acts 19 came from not putting down others belief, but allowing them the freedom to worship as they wished. He would instead share what was a blessing to him, and allowed people to choose what to do with that information. 

I fear that too many unbelievers meet too many Acts 18 Pauls in Christianity. I fear that too many people meet Acts 18 Paul in me. We need to ask ourselves if we are being an Acts 18 Paul or an Acts 19 Paul. 

When I was a child there were many local children's programs on TV. One I used to watch from Syracuse NY was "The Magic Toy Shop". Every Friday they would sign off with the words "Be sure to attend the church or synagogue of your choice." Now, as an adult and student of the Bible, and last day events, I have come to realize that this was an important statement. In heaven I want to thank the host for closing with that line every Friday.