ClubAdventist is back!

Potomac Conference Cancels Conservative Speaker

B/W Photodude

[I have made an editorial change in the title of this thread--Gregory Matthews.]

Potomac Conference Cancels Conservative Speaker While Approving Pro-LGBTQ Symposium

Last year, the Roanoke Church board invited Pastor Stephen Bohr to come and speak to them regarding end time events on May 5 & 6, 2023.  Although he is in great demand as a speaker, Bohr accepted the invitation.  Bohr is also speaking during the divine hour at the Michigan Campmeeting in June.

The Potomac Conference found out that the Roanoke SDA Church had invited Bohr and they contacted the church and demanded that Bohr be disinvited.  They said he wasn’t allowed to speak in their Conference.  

[I have removed a link to another website--Gregory Matthews.]

A reader comment:

[I have  removed some additional comment--Gregory Matthews.]

>>>Texts in blue type are quotes<<<

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

--Shakespeare from Hamlet

Bill Liversidge Seminars

The Emergent Church and the Invasion of Spiritualism

Wow!! Stephen Bohr is a fantastic speaker.  It was Secrets Unsealed that brought me back into the church.. They can't even sit through plain teaching.

• Moderators

I am seeking advice from Stan on this thread.  Until he  provides it to me, I have locked it.

Gregory

• Gregory Matthews changed the title to Potomac Conference Cancels Conservative Speaker
  • Gregory Matthews locked this topic
  • Gregory Matthews unlocked this topic

I know of a simular situation, also with a so-called "conservative" speaker.  It occurred here in Texas.  I was a member of the church board.  In that case, the Texas Conference did not tell us we could not allow the speaker to speak.  I am not sure they have the authority to do that.  However, they officially discouraged us from allowing him to speak.  We had a board meeting and agreed to follow the Conference recommendation. 

I will say that I do not like labels of "conservative" or "liberal."  I think more descriptive labels are better like one that spreads conspiracy theories, anti-trinitarian, anti-vaxxer, legalistic, doesn't believe in the Spirit of Prophecy, believes the church has become Babylon, etc.  I heard Steven Bohr preach a few years ago.  I don't recall his message but I do recall being disappointed.  I had hoped to hear someone more inspiring.  I was at an event where I was running a booth to promote Adventist Recovery Ministries.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

On 4/14/2023 at 9:57 PM, B/W Photodude said:

[I have made an editorial change in the title of this thread--Gregory Matthews.]

Potomac Conference Cancels Conservative Speaker While Approving Pro-LGBTQ Symposium

[I have removed a link to another website--Gregory Matthews.]

So, ... Can we have the link back now? That way we can all read the article.

I think more descriptive labels are better like one that spreads conspiracy theories, anti-trinitarian, anti-vaxxer, legalistic, doesn't believe in the Spirit of Prophecy, believes the church has become Babylon, etc. 

Unfortunately, all these different types of labels are somewhat insinuating that Pastor Bohr is in that camp. Another reason why people need to be able to read the whole article to see the behaviors on both sides of this event.

>>>Texts in blue type are quotes<<<

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

--Shakespeare from Hamlet

Bill Liversidge Seminars

The Emergent Church and the Invasion of Spiritualism

• Moderators

We allow considerable freedom of expression in this website.  We will continue to do so.

I removed a link to a website that goes beyond what we wish to allow.  Any who come here are free to visit that website.  But, we do not intend to post here material that may be found on that website.  I have allowed, in the past, some vailed references to material on that website.  But, the material that I removed from this website went far beyond what we wish  to allow here.  It should be noted that I visit that website often enough that I am aware when references to it are made in this website.

We  consider our mission to be different that what seems to be the mission of  that website.  So, we will continue to maintain our standards for material posted here and those of you who wish for something different may visit that website and have your needs met.

Gregory

There are some toxic websites out that that claim to support the Advent message.  I won't name names but I have seen them from both ends of the spectrum (no pun intended).  Some are so legalistic they criticize the church as being too compassionate with sinners.  Others promote easy grace so much that they are critical of the church for upholding standards.  From the way I see it, the devil doesn't care if you thirst to death or drowned.  The devil wants us to be at one extreme or the other.  Moderating a website that tries to support the organized SDA church can be challenging. 

• Like 2

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity