ClubAdventist is back!

Season 1 Matthew

Dr. Shane

The Chosen introduces us to Matthew in Season 1.  They decided to put Matthew on the autism spectrum for a variety of reasons.  First, I think they wanted to case one of the disciples as being on the autistic spectrum in order to try and reach people that are either on the spectrum themselves of have family or friends on the spectrum.  Second, it makes good story telling and that is what the director, Dallas Jenkins, does.  In deciding to make Matthew, as opposed to other disciples, be the one, they considered that he was probably good with mathematics and very detailed.  The way he wrote his gospel indicates one that pays attention to detail.  Of course, I seriously doubt the Apostle Matthew was actually on the autistic spectrum simply because mathematically the odds are against it.

One interesting point is that in the gospel of Matthew, he does not indicate who his father is.  We find in the gospel of Mark that he was the son of Alphaeus. James the younger was also the son of Alphaeus.  Jesus called James and John (brothers) and Simon and Andrew (brothers).  It is plausible that Matthew and James the younger were also brothers but Matthew had been disowned by his family which would explain why he does not identify his father in his Gospel but his father is identified by Mark. One reason to doubt this is that in Mark 15:40, the mother of James the younger is identified as Mary.  If Matthew and James had been brothers, it is probable that Mark would have identified her as the mother of James the younger and Levi.

I will insert a link to a video here of Jesus calling Matthew.  I like the scene especially starting at minute marker 0:55.  Simon rushes in to tell Jesus about what Matthew has done.  Simon asks Jesus, "Do you have any idea what this guy has done?"  The Simon asks "Do you even know him?"  About minute marker 1:00 look at the thoughtful expression on the face of the actor playing Jesus.  The he answer yes.  You know what I take away from that.  That is Jesus accepting me.  That is Jesus seeing all the things I have done and knowing all my failures and still calling me.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• 1 month later...

I watched Season 1 Episode 7 again with Pastors Ty Gibson and David Asscherick's program Story Encounters.  Take a look at minute marker 1:52 in the video I embedded in the original post in this thread.  Watch how the actor playing Simon reacts as Matthew joins them.  As the episode ends, he is walking behind Jesus with Matthew beside Jesus.  Simon appears boiling mad.  He hates Matthew.  That comes out later in Season 2.  But even here we can see the resentment building.

Have you ever gotten angry because God blessed someone you didn't like?

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity