ClubAdventist is back!

Season 1 Eps 2 Shabbat

Dr. Shane

There is so much to stimulate discussion in this episode.  The celebration of Sabbath, starting on Friday night is something I enjoy.  Many Adventist churches have Friday night vespers in the church or in a member's home if it is a small congregation.  I am told that the Friday evening service in a Jewish temple is always attended more than their Sabbath morning service.  When my children were younger, we would have a special meal each Friday evening to welcome the Sabbath.  I would pick out a bouquet of flowers for the table centerpiece and we would have a special dessert.  There were times we would be invited to the homes of friends on Friday evening to participate in family worship with them.

The celebration of Sabbat is rich in culture and adds something to our faith that many Sunday observers do not have in their faith tradition.  There does seem to be extremes in Adventist churches that I have observed.  Some Adventist churches have only a Sabbath morning service - no Friday vespers and no Sabbath afternoon AY.  Other Adventist churches have an abundance of Sabbath activities that one can get worn out or overstressed.  There is a happy middle area where the Sabbath relieves stress, instead of causing it, and is truly a day of rest. 

In the end of this episode, Jesus comes to dine with Mary on Sabbath.  He honors her by insisting that she pray for the meal.  I think this is representative of Jesus coming into our homes when we welcome the Sabbath with our families.  "I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me." (Rev. 3:20)

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity