ClubAdventist is back!

Time for a Diet

Dr. Shane

Tomorrow I will be starting a diet.  I have been planning it for a few months.  I have weighed 165 lbs most of my adult life.  During my divorce (which lasted four years) I got up to 180 lbs.  With the help of My Fitness Pal, I was able to get down to 145 lbs.  Once I went off the diet, I gained ten pounds and stayed at 155 lbs for about four years.  I continued to log my food in on My Fitness Pal, eat healthy and avoid overeating.  After getting remarried, my new wife didn't like me logging my food in all the time.  Our kids were big so it was just the two of us together eating most of the time.  I quit logging in my food and gradually started gaining weight. 

Last year was a very stressful year for me.  I won't detail everything but I have struggled with anxiety and mild depression.  Being a counselor, I have several friends who are also counselors, and I pretty much knew what was going on with me.  I also knew somethings are outside my control. So, now somethings have happened that have reduced my stress and I can feel the depression is lifting.  I am back at the 180 lb mark again.  The past year has not been as tough as my divorce years were - not even close.  But, view my whole life story, the past year has been more difficult than any other with the exception of my divorce years.  My wife is also on board with the diet now.  Logging my food in on the app will not bother her anymore as she now understands the need and usefulness of it.  

I am planning to do intermittent fasting.  I will only eat from noon until 8pm.  I will also be eating 1,750 calories a day.  I will take a sack lunch to work and walk in the park during lunch hours.  I have a gym membership already.  I will go there at least three times a week.  More when my counseling/chaplain schedule allows me to.  My goal is to get back to 165 lbs .  That means I will probably need to get below 160 before I come off the diet but that is my plan.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Members

Why not just do a lifestyle change and stop doing diets? Diets seem to be a pain in the rear and don't really work that well!!  Just a thought!

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

4 hours ago, phkrause said:

Why not just do a lifestyle change and stop doing diets? Diets seem to be a pain in the rear and don't really work that well!!  Just a thought!

The lifestyle change starts with a diet.  That is what I did before.  After getting remarried, my new wife didn't like the diet that had become my new lifestyle.  My problem isn't so much what I am eating as it is how much I am eating.  The My Fitness Pal app allows me to track how much I am eating and also the nutritional value.  It can be cumbersome but some people (like me) need that.

After the first week, the scale says I lost five pounds.  That is a bit hard to believe.  I was probably dehydrated a bit yesterday from working outside in the sun most of the day.  But at least I am headed in the right direction.  

• 4 weeks later...

It has been a month now.  I am down ten pounds.  That first week scared me a bit because I lost those five pounds so fast.  I have learned fast weight loss is not a good thing.  So, I quit the calorie restriction on the weekends.  I am still doing intermittent-fasting on the weekends.  That is part of the lifestyle change.  But I am enjoying meals with my wife and church family on the weekends.  I feel better.  Just losing ten pounds have made me feel better.