ClubAdventist is back!

Walter Reed National Military Medical Center Terminates Catholic Pastoral Care Contract During Holy Week

B/W Photodude

Walter Reed National Military Medical Center Terminates Catholic Pastoral Care Contract During Holy Week

WASHINGTON, DC – Walter Reed National Military Medical Center has issued a “cease and desist order” to Holy Name College, a community of Franciscan Catholic priests and brothers, who have provided pastoral care to service members and veterans at Walter Reed for nearly two decades.

The government’s cease and desist order directed the Catholic priests to cease any religious services at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. This order was issued as Catholics entered Holy Week, the most sacred of days in the Christian faith, in which they participate in liturgies remembering Jesus’ passion, and leading the Church to celebrate the Resurrection on Easter morning.

https://www.milarch.org/walter-reed-national-military-medical-center-terminates-catholic-pastoral-care-contract-during-holy-week/

>>>Texts in blue type are quotes<<<

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

--Shakespeare from Hamlet

Bill Liversidge Seminars

The Emergent Church and the Invasion of Spiritualism

• Moderators

This is a serious matter.

The Roman Catholic organization which issued the statement is the officially recognized agency of the Roman Catholic Church.   It supervises all Roman Catholic priests provided to the U. S. military services and to the VA.  NOTE :  Adventist Chaplaincy Ministries (ACM) supervises all SDA clergy provided to the U. S. military and to the VA.

I personally have a couple of questions as to what is being said in that article.  But, in general, a serious issue has been raised.    People in charge had better take serioiusly what the article says.

Gregory

Catholicism doesn't affirm LGBTQQAA (& whatever other alphabet soup comes after this) lifestyle, this put Catholicism at odds with the Liberal Democrat party which has become left of "secular". If Adventism stands against NAMBLA, Trans mutilation and lowering the age of consent to 11 years the existing Government is likely going to come after you guys next along with any one else who sees a problem with the moral compass we now have directing the country. 

• Moderators

Gustave, I do not understand  how your response is related to the issue that I presented.  Please enlighten.

Gregory

Vatican says it will not bless same-sex unions, calling them a 'sin' | CNN

"RomeCNN — 

The Vatican said Monday that the Catholic Church would not bless same-sex unions, in a combative statement approved by Pope Francis that threatens to widen the chasm between the church and much of the LGBTQ community.

Explaining their decision in a lengthy note on Monday, the Holy See referred to same-sex unions as a “choice,” described them as sinful and said they “cannot be recognized as objectively ordered” to God’s plans. The stance is certain to disappoint millions of gay and lesbian Catholics around the world.

“The blessing of homosexual unions cannot be considered licit,” the Vatican’s top doctrinal office, the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, wrote in the statement.

God “does not and cannot bless sin,” the statement added."

The above report was made in March of 2021. 

The report you posted (and others) state that Walter Reed's religious services will be taken care of by a "SECULAR COMPANY"  [Mack Global LLC]. 

To quote Auxiliary Bishop Joseph Coffee (May of 2023), "there seem to be only two reasons for this policy change. Either the person requisitioning the new contract didn’t understand the services Catholic chaplains provide. Only Catholic chaplains can say Mass and administer the sacraments to Catholics. “That would be bad enough if someone in that position didn’t know that,” he said. The second option would be worse; if they intentionally kept Catholic chaplains out. “That would be much worse,” he said."  Walter Reed Medical Center Still Discriminating Against Catholic Chaplains – PJ Media

Does anyone really think it was because of the 1st reason? I hope not. 

Especially in light of what kind of folks the Military today is trying to recruit. 

The Department of Defense is absolutely shifting its historic position on these sorts of things and the issue of Walter Reed follows that shift. 

Pretty hard to deny the following. 

• Moderators

Gustave:

I have not problem with what you have cited.  On the surface it seems that you and the SDA Chruch agree.

None of that has anything to do with the cited article.

No military chaplain is required to provide a sacramental service to any person.  I have refused to  perform the marriage  as  both a U.S. Army chaplain and as a VA chaplain.  My response when questioned about such was that I was not required to give a reason.  As a SDA chaplain, it was my decision as to how I would relate to requests for chaplain ministry.

NOTE:  In my total ministry as an Army chaplain, both active and reserve,  I was questioned as to my refusal once.  I was questioned once as a VA chaplain.  My freedom to decide was established and generally understood.  That freedom exists for all Federal chaplains, including Catholics.

• Like 2

Gregory

1 hour ago, Gregory Matthews said:

Gustave:

I have not problem with what you have cited.  On the surface it seems that you and the SDA Chruch agree.

None of that has anything to do with the cited article.

No military chaplain is required to provide a sacramental service to any person.  I have refused to  perform the marriage  as  both a U.S. Army chaplain and as a VA chaplain.  My response when questioned about such was that I was not required to give a reason.  As a SDA chaplain, it was my decision as to how I would relate to requests for chaplain ministry.

NOTE:  In my total ministry as an Army chaplain, both active and reserve,  I was questioned as to my refusal once.  I was questioned once as a VA chaplain.  My freedom to decide was established and generally understood.  That freedom exists for all Federal chaplains, including Catholics.

A non-Catholic cannot hear confession or absolve so while it's true that a Clergyman isn't required to provide a Sacramental service there are some Sacraments beyond the ability of some Clergy to provide - I think that was the jest of the article. 

Biden has really broken the glass ceiling with appointing DIVERSE people who hail from the alphabet Tribe. I was in the Military in the early 90's and know what it was like under Bush, I also got to experience what it was like under Clinton. The Democrat party has radically changed since the days of Clinton. 

• Moderators

Gustave:
In my response, I stated that this was a serious issue.

In your response, your stated:

Catholicism doesn't affirm LGBTQQAA (& whatever other alphabet soup comes after this) lifestyle, this put Catholicism at odds with the Liberal Democrat party which has become left of "secular". If Adventism stands against NAMBLA, Trans mutilation and lowering the age of consent to 11 years the existing Government is likely going to come after you guys next along with any one else who sees a problem with the moral compass we now have directing the country.

I do not understand your response to be in any way related to the original post.

I asked for clarification.

By the way, I am well acquainted with the work and ministry of the Catholic agency that made the statement cited in the beginning.   I have followed that agency for years.  I have kept current on their published Priests Manual,  which I have used in positions that I have held in relating to Catholic priests.

Gregory Matthews

Gregory

• Moderators

Gustave:
As an example of  how serious I consider this to  be:

I am personally aware of a situation where that Catholic agency filed a formal complaint against a high level Army Officer that the agency claimed was not sensitive to Catholic needs.  That man was immediately removed from his position and he then retired from the Army.

In another situation, as a VA chaplain a VA leader made a decision related to the provision of Catholic ministry.  I went to that person and informed the person of what was going to happen if that decision were enforced.  Immediately the decision was cancelled.

As to where I stand:   I consider the situation to be serious.  I do have a couple of unanswered questions related to the actual facts.  I hoped that Gustave could provide additional information.

In brief:  I am well acquainted with the Catholic agency involved.  As I kept current on their Priests Manual, I was well informed as to what Roman Catholics were expected to provide in ministry to Catholics.

Gregory

7 hours ago, Gregory Matthews said:

Gustave:
In my response, I stated that this was a serious issue.

In your response, your stated:

I do not understand your response to be in any way related to the original post.

I asked for clarification.

By the way, I am well acquainted with the work and ministry of the Catholic agency that made the statement cited in the beginning.   I have followed that agency for years.  I have kept current on their published Priests Manual,  which I have used in positions that I have held in relating to Catholic priests.

Gregory Matthews

I'm acknowledging the article you posted accurately described what happened at Walter Reed - the part of my response you are asking about states why it happened - at least it's my opinion as to why it happened. 

The current Administration views active LGBTQQAA's....etc. as "virtuous", meritorious on its own. 

Pete Buttigieg

Karine Jean-Pierre

Pili Tobar

Arlander Teller

Ned Price

I could go on and on with names of appointments - what I'm showing is that the culture has changed to such a degree that a man dressed up as a woman can perform oral sex on a horse and a large segment of the population will now applaud that act and swoon over "how brave that young woman is". Several years ago a man died while doing a sex act with a horse that was being videotaped and the Washington State Legislature got busy passing a law again this type of activity only after late night comedians on t.v. had a field day over the spectacle. During the "public comment" of the proposed law freaks come out of the woodwork claiming the action was homophobic biased against the community who self identified as needing such "love". 

Over the last 3 months I've seen multiple "furries" walking around in broad daylight complete with animal ears and inserted "PLUGS" that had animal tails attached on the air end of the PLUG. 

It's like Lucifer is now in full blown charge and he's getting his troops ready for the attack. 

I'm not naive and realize that there are plenty of freaks in the Republican Party - all I'm saying is that at least that people who are conservative generally don't identify being trans or gay as a VIRTUE or expect others to recognize their status as something akin to merit. 

The other day I saw an article slamming Chris Pratt because he is or was affiliated with a Church that is not supportive of LGBT........ I thought to myself back in the 70's and 80's what Christian Church was supportive of that lifestyle? 

I add all this up together and look at what happened at Walter Reed and say to myself it's get worse from here on out - much, much worse until Almighty God has enough and ushers in the last day. 

• Moderators

I made a telephone call, and I have the truth about this situation:

Catholic services at the Walter Reed Medical Center were provided by an in-house Catholic chaplain and a group of Catholic priests who were under contract to provide additional services to Walter Reed patients.

*  The  additional Catholic priests were provided under a contract that was time-limited and  came to an end.

*  At that time the contract was put out for a competitive bid, and was awarded to the lowest bidder.

*  A non-Catholic person submitted the lowest bid to provide Catholic priests to Walter Reed and was awarded the Contract.

*  No Catholic priest  has been willing to work for that person in the capacity of supplying services to Walter Reed.  So the person awarded the contract has been unable to supply Catholic priests to Walter Reed.

*  A process is  taking place that I expect will cancel the contract to that person and will result in a new contract being issued to a valid Catholic agency.

*  In the mean-time, a Catholic priest is working 7-days a week, at Walter Reed to provide Catholic services to Walter Reed patients.

I trust this will clarify the situation.

Gregory Matthews

Gregory

That's helpful Pastor Matthews! I have a better grasp of the situation. No doubt you have an inside view of how this works, you lived it for years. 

• Moderators

In the VA I have worked with an in-house Catholica priest, a local parish priest and Catholic priests who were under contract to the hospital where I worked.

In some of those cases I was the contact between the Catholic priest and the hospital.  If an issues needed to be addressed either on the part of the priest or on the part of the hospital I was the person in the middle.  There were times when I told the hospital that something would not fly and could not be put in place.  At times I would work with a priest to resolve an issue.

Sometimes i was simply an information contact.  As an example, on rare occasions a priest might not show up for Mass.  I informed a priest on one occasion that the Catholic lay people who set up the service were allowing a Baptist person conduct a service in the place of the priest.  That came to an end.  Just one example.

On a number of occasions, a family member would request a Sacramental service for a patient that I knew the patient was not eligible to receive.  So, when I would relay the request to the priest I would inform the priest of the facts.  Example:  Family requesting a sacramental service for a patient who was a devout member of another faith tradition, or the Sacrament of the Sick for a patient who had received that Sacrament 20 hours earlier from a different priest.

Gregory

• Moderators

I had a good relationship with the Catholic priests that I worked with.  On several occasions I went with the priest to provide the Sacrament of the Sick.

I will give you another interesting issue that came up.  One morning I recieved a telephone call in my office.  The woman calling me identified herself as the sister of a patient in our hospital.  She informed me that she, other family members, and her pastor would arrive the next morning.  I was to be ready for the pastor to baptize the patient, by immersion.  NOTE:  That can be arranged, if the physicians do not object.  But they have to approve.  I informed her that I would get back to her, probably in about an hour.  So, I went to visit her brother, who was a devout Catholic.  He said  he would delighted to have her and any other family members visit him.  But, he wanted nothing to do with her pastor.  So I telephoned the woman and told her that her brother would be delighted to visit with her and any other family members.  But, I told  her that her pastor would not be allowed to see him.  And   I would have the pastor removed from the hospital if he attempted to visit the patient.  She informed me that none of the family members would visit the patient.

Gregory

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2023 at 10:42 AM, Gregory Matthews said:

She informed me that none of the family members would visit the patient.

Dysfunctional family.