ClubAdventist is back!

2 Rembrandts have been hidden in a private collection for 200 years. Now they're headed to auction.

phkrause

• Members

Two recently rediscovered Rembrandt paintings will be up for auction at Christie's in London next month, expected together to fetch between about $6.3 million and $10 million. They have not been seen in public since they were last auctioned off at Christie's – nearly 200 years ago. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rembrandts-auction-rediscovered-christies-200-years-after-sold/

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• 2 weeks later...

I had a friend who owned an art gallery in Los Angeles.  In his collection was a painting he believed to be a "lost" Rembrandt painting of the Ethiopian eunuch being baptized. He took it to the Rembrandt certifying authorities in Europe. Unfortunately, they rejected it as authentic, believing it to be done by a copyist or someone in his studio. Still a very interesting piece since there was/is no known work of Rembrandt on that subject. 

Sometime after his disappointment, an art scholar employed by a California university contacted him. He offered to help overturn the judgment of the Rembrandt authorities for a percentage of the final sale price. The gratuity, in those days, would have still amounted to hundreds of thousands of $$$.

Another time in San Francisco, a gallery mounted an exhibition of Rembrandt engravings. I went to the showing and became interested in two items. They were priced at such and such. When I asked the gallery owner for a provenance [history of ownership], his countenance changed, he stammered a bit, then said he could provide one but the price would go up.

I wondered why I should be expected to pay more for some assurance that he wasn't simply doing high end copying in a back room of his gallery?  I guess there would be added expense for providing some phony documentation to "authenticate" some fraudulent engravings. I passed on the purchase, which I couldn't afford anyway.