ClubAdventist is back!

Guarding The Sabbath

Dr. Shane

How workers are able to use the weekend to recharge and avoid burnout has been a subject of much study.  A study done at San Francisco State University in 2017 discovered that those with intellectually intense jobs are best recharged by doing non-intellectual tasks.  Conversely, those with jobs that do not require much intellectual energy are recharged by intellectually stimulating activities. 

So what does that mean?  Those with jobs that require a lot of thinking will find rest by mowing the lawn, hiking or swimming.  Those working jobs like cashiers, security guards, waiters, factory workers, etc. will be recharged by reading, playing games like Scrabble or Trivia Pursuit or attending a lecture. 

How does this carry over into guarding the Sabbath?  There are somethings the Bible clearly teaches we should not do on the Sabbath - like working in our vocation (unless we are in healthcare) .  However many of the "do's and don't's" come from church and family tradition.  Mowing the lawn or cleaning the house are some examples.  If a person's vocation is working as a janitor, then cleaning the house would be work and not provide any rest.  However, someone that works as an accountant or chemist, may find cleaning the house or mowing the lawn to relieve a lot of stress.  After an intense week at the office, going to church, participating in a Sabbath school discussion and listening to a sermon can be exhausting to me.  Sometimes I have gone to vespers on Friday night and skipped the morning service, only to show up just in time for potluck.  Of course, a factory worker or someone who works mostly with their hands is completely recharged by a deep Sabbath-school discussion and an intense Bible-focused sermon.

We are not all the same.  So while there are some universal standards for how God wants to enjoy the Sabbath with us, there are many variables that apply differently to different people.

David, J. (2023). The science of weekend recovery. (56)2 Psychology Today

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Well, in this case I'm thinking I agree with your logic chain here. I'm not saying I agree with your Sabbath rubrics given the clarity of the New Testament and Church history and tradition but am willing to admit if I was a Sabbath adherent I would accept your logic chain on what constitutes work.