ClubAdventist is back!

Online Bible

Hanseng

Home - Online Bible

This is certainly among the best digitalized Bible study programs available. It's free to get started. If you like it, you can add your preferred versions for a nominal fee. The free package comes with a KJV and corrected Strong's numbers. Even if you know no Biblical languages, you can do word searches based on the numbers. It offers a wide range of possibilities for study of the LXX.   If you like the format of the OLB, you can purchase a complete edition.

It includes a large library of history and theology as well. Check it out at the link above.

• 2 weeks later...

An example of how the OLB works in daily Bible study:

Galatians 4:9 refers to "the weak (772) and beggarly (4434) elements" (4747). Each word has an assigned number. By typing 772 & 4434 into the search box, you can find any other place in the NT where the words "weak" (772) and "beggarly" (4434) are used together. Turns out that this is the only NT passage that uses "weak and beggarly" together.

By typing 4434 into the search box, you will find 34 passages in the KJV New Testament that use that numbered word. Turns out that every other passage, 33 in all, translate the word as "poor."  So, the word translated as "beggarly" in the KJV of Galatians 3:9 is translated as "poor" in every other place it is used. 

Using the search feature of the Online Bible, one can determine the following about the word sanctification:

It is derived from word # 40, which means "holy." This is the word used to describe the Spirit as holy as in holy Spirit. It is often translated as saints, referring to Christians. It refers to the "holy" angels and the "holy" city.

The verb form of this word is # 37. 

That word appears in these verses and many others:

Joh 17:17  “Sanctify <37> them by Your truth. Your word is truth.

Joh 17:19  “And for their sakes I sanctify <37> Myself, that they also may be sanctified <37> by the truth.

Ac 20:32  “So now, brethren, I commend you to God and to the word of His grace, which is able to build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified <37>.

Ac 26:18  ‘to open their eyes, [in order] to turn [them] from darkness to light, and [from] the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified <37> by faith in Me.’

This numbering system works with the KJV, NKJV, NASB as well as some interlinear Greek versions.

As mentioned above, the verb form of the word usually translated as holy #40 is #37. The noun form is #38.

By typing 37 | 38 into the search box, you will find  noun and verb forms derived from the root word for "holy" #40. That's only 36 verses. By looking at those 36 verses, you can see everything the NT says about being or making "holy."

This is where the art of Bible study comes into play. Most of those 36 verses are not going to explain what sanctification is.

"Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth" (John 17:17) doesn't explain what sanctification is, it simply refers to it. What you want to do is to find the verses which explain sanctification. For example, "This is the will of God, even your sanctification, that you should abstain from fornication" (1Thess. 4:3). This verse plainly defines sanctification as abstaining from fornication. It's likely the plainest explanation of sanctification in the New Testament. It's a Bible based definition of sanctification. Certainly, there are other passages which help us understand sanctification but few, if any, as plain as this. If you abstain from fornication, you are sanctified, according to this verse.

Another example of finding the right text to explain what we are seeking to understand. The word gospel is often tossed about. The JWs used to come to my door, talking about the "gospel." When I asked them what the gospel was, they responded with references to Armageddon, the mark of the beast, the name of God and the like. I knew gospel meant good news. None of that sounded like good news to me.

With the OLB, one simply types gospel into the search bar. Then click on "toggle Strong's" in the right click drop down menu. Gospel is numbered 2098. The verb is 2097. By typing 2097 | 2098 into the search box, you will find every noun and verb form of the word translated gospel. 121 verses will appear. This is where the work begins. We must take a look at all those verses to find the ones that actually explain what the gospel is. With practice, it's possible to go through all those verses relatively fast. They are all displayed on your screen, no page turning. 

One verse you'll find is "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature" (Mk. 16:15). Great verse but it doesn't explain what the gospel is. Eventually, we will find this verse: 1Co 15:1 "Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel <2098> which I preached <2097> unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;". Here Paul is saying that he is going to rehearse the gospel he previously preached, i.e., Jesus Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures; he was buried, rose again the third day, and was seen of many witnesses. That is a clear explanation of the gospel message Paul preached. He preached the death and resurrection of Christ. There are other verses which further describe just what the gospel is. They will appear in the list on your screen, courtesy of the OLB.   

Suppose you want to understand the meaning of the word "firstborn" in Colossians 1:15, "the firstborn of all creation" referring to Jesus.

Type "firstborn" into the search window. 100 verses will appear on your screen. Scroll down to Matthew 1:25, the first NT verse that uses the word "firstborn" in the KJV. Right click your mouse and a menu will appear which offers you the option to "toggle Strong's." Click on that. Note that the number appearing next to the word "firstborn" is <4416>. Put 4416 in the search window. 9 verses from the NT will appear. After reviewing those verses, right click on the number 4416 next to any verse. If you installed the Abbott Smith Lexicon, which you should have, a tab AS will appear at the top of the window. It will tell you to see the definition for 01060. Put that number into the search window. 96 verses from the OT will appear where the Hebrew word for "firstborn" is used.

There is the palette of color with which you paint your picture of the Biblical doctrine of the "firstborn."

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

GH, is this being done on your computer or an apt on your cellphone? If on your laptop, is it a PC or Apple? Thanks

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

19 minutes ago, phkrause said:

GH, is this being done on your computer or an apt on your cellphone? If on your laptop, is it a PC or Apple? Thanks

Details here. I've been using this program on a Windows notebook for years. I don't use a phone.

Home - Online Bible

• Members

Thanks! I did notice that it only works with an iMac, for us apple people, so will have to download to my cellphone!!

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

On 7/23/2023 at 10:12 PM, phkrause said:

so will have to download to my cellphone!!

I suspect that any kind of phone is not suitable for use with this program, due to its small screen size.  Not sure, though. I'd be interested in your opinion of its use on a phone.

There are 4 versions available with the OLB that use the Strong's numbering system. It's not exactly Strong's due to the many corrections made when it was digitized. The 4 versions I know of are the KJV, NKJV, and NAS95, and the LXXA, a user prepared option. 

Using the KJV, NAS95 or the NKJV open the program to Hebrews 1. Then right click. A drop-down menu will appear with the options to toggle Strong's numbers and to toggle footnotes. Here is what you will see

4 ¶  Being made <1096> (5637) so much <5118> better than <2909> the angels <32>, as <3745> he hath by inheritance obtained <2816> (5758) a more excellent <1313> name <3686> than <3844> they <846>.

The numbers enclosed like this <   > are Strong's numbers. The numbers enclosed like this (5758) are the footnotes. The footnotes are parsed verbs, i.e., grammatical details. By clicking on the number enclosed like this (5558) this screen will appear 

TVM: Perfect 5778, Active 5784, Indicative 5791, Count: 514 The verb is a "perfect" tense, "active" voice, and "indicative" mood.

Clicking on the number 5778 will produce a screen explaining the Greek "perfect" tense. 5791 will explain the Greek "active" voice. 5791 will explain the Greek "indicative" mood.

If you put (5758) in the search window and limit the search range to the book of Hebrews, you will find the "perfect" tense is used in the book of Hebrews 18 times. By expanding the search range to the entire NT, you will find that the "perfect" tense appears 440 times in the NT. By looking at verses where the perfect tense is used, you can get an idea of its significance and range.

Employing these tools and techniques will not turn you into a Greek "scholar." They can enrich your personal Bible study.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
On 7/30/2023 at 10:38 AM, Hanseng said:

I suspect that any kind of phone is not suitable for use with this program, due to its small screen size.  Not sure, though. I'd be interested in your opinion of its use on a phone.

I did download it and it's no different than any of the other bible software programs as far as reading and looking things up. It would be much better on a laptop for sure, but such is life!! 😀

phkrause