ClubAdventist is back!

Season 2 Episode 6 Mary's Relapse

Dr. Shane

This is perhaps my favorite episode of The Chosen.  There are a handful that really hit home with me and this is one.  Mary relapses and Matthew sees his selfishness.  Simon Peter starts to see the change in Matthew.  Mother Mary demonstrates reliance on God as she quotes Psalms 20:7. "Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: But we will remember the name of the LORD our God."

I was touched by the return of Mary and shed a tear each time I watch this episode.  The words the character Jesus use can be interpreted multiple ways, and I suspect the writers spent significant time deciding which ones to use.  This scene is not Biblical.  The story of Mary relapsing was made up by The Chosen creators in an effort to connect with viewers who struggle with alcoholism and drug addiction.  In a hypothetical world, how would Jesus have responded to this?  There is a saying in 12-Step Recovery groups.  That is, "We don't shoot our wounded."  When a person relapses and comes back to the recovery group, he or she is welcomed with open arms.  People literally hug them, tell them they are loved and glad they are back.  It seems that level of forgiveness and acceptance is what the creators of The Chosen were trying to capture.

Mary stated she didn't believe she could live up to it.  What does the word "it" mean?  Jesus tells her she doesn't have to.  That part may get some fundamentalists upset.  Is Jesus saying she doesn't need to obey?  Then He says the Father only wants her heart.  This is where different viewers are going to attach different meanings to the words and come away with different ideas.  For me, the "it" she cannot do, and doesn't have to do, is obey God on her own power.  When we give God our heart, the Holy Spirit comes in and gives us power to obey.  So, I have no problem with the wording used.  It goes back to the verse quoted by Mother Mary.  "Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: But we will remember the name of the LORD our God." Who do you trust to keep you from falling? 

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity