ClubAdventist is back!

Disagreement & God

Gregory Matthews

Well, I was in need of reading that as I'm guilty of being so dead set on certain things. That was a good article that made some great points. 

• Moderators

One of my Seminary professors was Siegfried H.; Horn. The following article about contains some fundamental rules that are important.  See his 6-rules at the end of the article.  Consider how they might be adapted for discussions outside of his area of knowledge.

https://www.andrews.edu/services/research/faculty_research/horn_award/siegfried-horn.html

NOTE:  I am considering writing more about this.

Gregory

• Moderators

One of the critical things that I learned from Dr Horn was the idea that while objective facts are important, an analysis of those facts may be just as important or even more important than the objective facts.   This applies to all areas of study.

I will illustrate from the area of Dr. Horn's field of study.

*  You discover an ancient clay plate that has embedded in it some Egyptian hieroglyphs.  Your plate is an objective fact.

*  First you are going to need a trained scholar to decipher those hieroglyphs.  That is beyond you.  Absent the scholar telling you the meaning of those hieroglyphs, you have little of value.

*  Next you are going to have to analyze that plate and the and what you have been told the hieroglyphs say.  In your analysis, you may arrive at one meaning, while your friend may arive at another meaning.  Both of your are hones.  But, issues are not always clear-cut.

*  Sometimes the meaning that someone might give to that place would be clearly stupid.  I could give you names of people who have their analysis rejected because it is simply stupid.  But, I am not here to cite names.  Sometimes honest people simply see things from different perspectives.  Bur, each has valid reasons for the positions that they take.  Life is not always so simple tha there is only one answer for an honest person.  All of us may have inherent bias in our thought processes.

*  Perhaps this is going on in our current discussions in this forum.

*  But, that is O. K.  This forum exists to foster civil discussions of issues of interest. 

• Like 2

Gregory

• Members
18 hours ago, Gregory Matthews said:

Religious Disagreement:  For an interesting perspective on God and religious disagreement, see the following link to an interesting article.

https://atoday.org/disagreement-is-gods-plan/

Great article!!

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}