ClubAdventist is back!

You Don't Talk Too Much

Dr. Shane

My older sister's boyfriend paid me not to talk all day when I was twelve.  He said I talked too much.  Joe Jones sang the hit song "You Talk Too Much" in 1960 and he must have been a fan.  Well, science has finally proven that I am right, and they are wrong.  A study published last year (Hirschi, 2022) found that people that talk more than 50% of a conversation come across as more interesting and more likable.   Yet, many suffer from what is called reticence bias.  That is the belief that they will be liked more if they speak less.  Some believe that due to insecurities they hold on to. 

Romans 10:14, 15 reads, "But how can people call for help if they don’t know who to trust? And how can they know who to trust if they haven’t heard of the One who can be trusted? And how can they hear if nobody tells them? And how is anyone going to tell them, unless someone is sent to do it? That’s why Scripture exclaims, A sight to take your breath away! Grand processions of people telling all the good things of God!" (The Message).  Let's not be afraid of talking too much.  There is a dying world out there and we have the words of life.

Hirschi, Q., Wilson, T. D., & Gilbert, D. T. (2022). Speak Up! Mistaken Beliefs About How Much to Talk in Conversations. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 0(0). https://doi.org/10.1177/01461672221104927

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity