ClubAdventist is back!

What Does the Bible Say about Aliens and Extraterrestrial Beings?

phkrause

• Members

There is a lot of unknowns in the universe out there. Space is vast and we cannot explore all that is out there. There have been movies made about astronauts, sci-fi themes, and aliens. As believers, it is important to have a viewpoint on what we believe about extraterrestrial beings. Today we will be exploring, what does the Bible say about aliens. 

https://www.crosswalk.com/faith/bible-study/what-does-the-bible-say-about-aliens-and-extraterrestrial-beings.html?

ps:I placed this here in TT area, if, Gregory you think it should be placed elsewhere, then by all means please move it!! Thanks

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Interesting topic! Are there aliens flying around in flying saucers? I don't know but something tells me there certainly could be. They might have some protocol similar to the "Prime Directive" in Star Trek that prohibits them from altering the rate of advancement of a culture other than their own. 

If I'm remembering correctly Ellen White said that there were huge hominid extraterrestrials living on planets out in the vastness of space and that they were governed by the 10 commandment law with the Sabbath being the most vital of the laws. There was something about these extraterrestrials having the ability to fall into sin by failing to be perfectly obedient to the law of God. 

Imagine the advancement humanity would have experienced by now if we weren't in the soup - we would be well past flying around the universe and would likely be terraforming planets for human habitation. 

If Ellen was right about E.T's being our there that COULD fall into sin it would default into these aliens being incredibly advanced compared to us - they would be using energy based weapons and robotics beyond our imagination. Prometheus and War of the Worlds come to mind. 

• Moderators

A brief statement of Ellen White's view on this subject, as  I understand it, and written in my words, not hers:

There are other planets in the Universe that contain intelligent life.  All of those planets contain life that lives in perfect harmony with God, as this planet (Earth) is the only planet in which the life living there sinned and departed from God.  As Earth is the only planet on which life has sinned, the plan of salvation is specific to Earth.  This plan of salvation will ultimately return those on Earth who have chosen to spend eternity with God to the same level of those on the other planets who are currently spending eternity with God.  I do not understand Ellen  White as suggesting that those on the other planets could sin ni the  future.

Again, the above is simply my words and my understanding of the position that Ellen White would take on this subject. 

NOTE:  I do not find any support in EGW writings to suggest that any so called ET visits to Earth are      those beings living on other planets in the Universe.  

Gregory Matthews

Gregory

I think the rub is that Ellen said that the E.T.'s possessed the ability to sin / fall and if THAT took place you'd have an advanced alien culture with energy-based weapons looking to harvest the vast mineral and other resources of planet earth. 

the History Chanel show "Ancient Aliens" discusses this kind of stuff and will likely cover Ellen White's commentary on the matter. 

• Moderators

The general understanding of the EGW statements as to intelligent life  on other planets is:

*  That they pertain to planets outside of our solar system.

*  That those inhabitants could have sinned  but did not.

*  Those inhabitants are aware to some degree as to what  happened on Earth after sin   began to rule.

*  From the perspective of that knowledge. those inhabitants  will never sin and reject God's leadership.

I point out that Gustave speculates as to the consequences of what might result if those inhabitants were to chose to sin.  His perspective includes that idea that if they sinned God would not intervene to prevent some of the results  that he  suggests.

Can I suggest a Biblical verse for every thing that I have stater her?  Of course not.  What I say may be just a speculative as what Gustave has said.

• Like 2

Gregory

• Moderators

Let me state the general SDA perspective on this issue.

*  There was a rebellion in heaven led by a created angel, often called Satan.

*  Satan charged that God's creation had not been given the freedom to chose whom they would follow.  If given that freedom to chose, they would chose to follow Satan.

*  The result of that was that Satan and 1/3 of the angels who chose to side with Satan were expelled from heaven.

*  Satan charged that if God allowed created intelligent beings in the Universe the freedom to chose  who to follow, they would chose to follow Satan.

*  So, Satan was  given access to a newly created Earth, as described in the first chapters of Genesis, which records how the  newly created humans did chose to follow Satah.

*  This could include intelligent life on other planets in the Universe could have been given that same choice.   If so, on those planets those  intelligent  beings chose to follow God and rejected Satan.  However, this option is not clearly stated in the Bible, which is the rule of faith.  Therefore, this position is speculative, and even if true lacks Biblical support.

Gregory

• Moderators

Seventh-day Adventists view the Bible as a detailed and true record of God's intervention in the affairs of planet Earth.  This record begins with the creation of Earth.  It continues with a record of the entry of sin and of Satan's involvement in life on Earth.  It then continues with the record of God's involvement in a plan designed to return Earth to God's kingdom, which includes providing eternal life to the humans who chose to spend eternity with God.

As SDAs regard the Bible to be quite specific to God's involvement with Earth, SDAs do not  consider the Bible to have much to say, about other planets in the Universe that may have intelligent life on those planets.  Therefore, anything that one might say on that  subject would likely be highly speculative and subject to error.

Yes, I have thoughts.  But, I do not claim that my thinking is grounded in authority.  My thinking is simply speculative and subject to error.

Gregory