ClubAdventist is back!

The Trinity In Recent SDA Times

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

My intention in this thread is to post some more recent resources that one my review on Seventh-day Adventist understanding of the Trinity in SDA history and in current SDA thought.  This will take some time and I will not be posting it all at once.  For that reason, I will close this thread from further comment until I have been able to post additional material..  Once I have done that, I will open this tread for comments.

*  One important recent book on this subject is:  Peterson, Paul & McIver, Rob Editors, Biblical & Theological Studies on The Trinity, Avondale academic Press, 2014, 251 pages.  This book has five chapters on Biblical Studies, five chapters on Historical & Theological Studies, and three chapters on SDA  History & Theology, plus additional material.  The various chapters are authored by twelve SDA scholars.

Amazon has a few copied on sale, but they are not cheap.

*  Attorney Philip Brantley wrote an article published in Spectrum in December 2017.  That article listed a number of SDA scholars and summarized his thoughts on their thoughts on this issue.  The URL that follows the citation will take you to Brantley's 7-page article.

The following citation is a partial quote from the first paragraph of his article:

In the last two decades, there has been a resurgence of Arianism and anti-Trinitarianism, not only in the Seventh-day Adventist Church but also in the wider Christian and Evangelical world. I opine that many Seventh-day Adventists do not possess a conscious realization of what they believe about the nature of God; they will articulate that they believe in the biblical doctrine of the Trinity, but if you engage them in dialogue, you can gradually discern that they incline toward one or more anti-Trinitarian heresies. Furthermore, most Seventh-day Adventists do not realize that anti-Trinitarianism is inextricably linked to opposition to women’s ordination. Although this stealthy linkage is not expressly set forth in the lectures, the scholars provide a thorough biblical, historical, and practical discussion of the Trinity.

https://spectrummagazine.org/article/2017/12/13/no-longer-neglected-biblical-doctrine-trinity

*   in the above article, Brantly cites a series of 16 video lectures produced by the Andrews Seminary on the subject of Adventism and the Trinity.  Those 16i videos may be viewed on the following Internet website.

https://www.andrews.edu/sem/sdlc/trinity/

*   NOTE:  I am not  yet ready to open this thread up for discussion.  I will do that later.

Gregory Matthews

This thread is now open--GM.

Gregory

• Gregory Matthews locked this topic
  • Gregory Matthews unlocked this topic