ClubAdventist is back!

Percentage of Seats Democrates will take (USA)

Stan

You best guess.. (this is not pro or con either party)

You do NOT have to be registered to vote on this one.

The Poll should say 2006..... :(

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

• Administrators

I wonder how many will agree here.

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

• Moderators

Like most, I think they'll just get over the line, but not by much. I'd like them to get enough to be able to over-ride the filibuster, just so stuff can get done, and have a 2/3 majority, but I suspect that won't happen.

Edit: Hmm, topic seems to be locked or something, I can't reply. So just a short comment here: "Oh sure, Shane, show up my ignorance yet again!" (just kidding, thanks for the education - still want the Dems to win both houses though!)

Truth is important

Filibusters only happen in the Senate and only 1/3 of the Senate is even up for election. So they would have to win about 1/2 of the Senate races and that is not even being talked about.

Every seat in the House of Representatives is up for election every two years. That is where major change could take place. Of the two houses of Congress, that is also the biggest prize. Democrats controlled the Senate just a few years ago - - - and they didn't accomplish anything.

That is my concern. The Democrats leaders have been so filled with radical rhetoric that I doubt they will be able to reach accross the isle and get anything accomplished. The Republicans arn't any better but since they also control the White House they can at least get a few things done. My pipe dream is that the Democrats fail to gain control this election and as a result all their liberal leaders like Howard Dean and Nancy Pelosi get relieved of their leadership positions and replaced with more moderate, main-line Democrats. Then in 2008 I would like such a moderate Democrat win the White House and bring in other moderate Demorcrats on his or her coattails to win control of the House too. But that is a long shot. As long as Bush is in the White House I fear the radical left is going to call the shots in the Democrat party.

Today for the first time ever I took a political test that labeled me a Democrat. I think it was rigged though. I am almost always a moderate or centrist.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Moderators

As of now, it's 226 to 190 called for the House, which gives the Dems a bit over 54%. People, we should be pundits!

Truth is important

• Moderators

Won't make one bit of difference. The corruption will continue and the deficit will keep on soaring to new heights.

Gerry

About a year ago I posted a link from USATODAY.com which stated that the gov't debt per family was around 550,000. Yet this does not seem to be an issue with the elections.

Most of the debt, and someone can correct me on this, is funded by 'asia'. I have wondered at times, if 'they' could end up calling some of the financial 'shots' which would override the democratic process.

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

Our deficit actually went down this year, the economy is booming, inflation is under control and unemployment is at record lows. The economy wasn't the issue. The war in Iraq was the issue. This is one of the few elections that wasn't determined by the economy.

To gain a prespective on the debt it has to be contrast to the GDP which is the measure of the economy. That is like comparing a person's personal debt to the person's personal income. As the person's income grows, his debt can also grow and still be managable. So it is with nations. As a nation's GDP grows, their debt can grow too and still be managable.

• Moderators

The national debt scares me more than Iraq or the terrorists. The Argentine economy is in shambles because of debt. People have forgotten when Germany wound up printing money that became worthless. I am an optimist by nature, but I am not a bit optimistic that the clowns in Washington will do the right thing.

Gerry

• Moderators

Won't make one bit of difference. The corruption will continue and the deficit will keep on soaring to new heights.

Gerry

But the Dem majority can now conduct oversight of the Administration regarding the Iraq war. I predict they'll hold Bush's feet to the fire regarding the Billions being spent in Iraq, and the Millions of innocent lives being lost over there.

That's a good start, on bringing about change.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

• Moderators

Shane, I think you are smoking the same weed the deficit-spending economists are smoking.

The national debt interest at the end of the 2006 fiscal year was over $405.8 billion. That is almost as much as the Pentagon budget request of $419 billion for fiscal year 2006. Since his presidency started 6 yrs ago, G. Bush has managed to increase the national debt by over TWO TRILLION dollars.

We were approaching the curve where the rate of increase in the interest of the national debt was approaching geometric proportions. Fortunately, Clinton (God bless his soul even though I didn't vote for him) came along and actually had billions of surplus that went into paying down some of the debt. As I understand it, once we get past a certain point in that geometric curve, all hell will break lose in the economy. Again, look what happened to Germany in the 20's & 30's, and more recently, what happened to Argentina.

Gerry

Again, the deficet must be viewed in respect to the GDP in order to have prespective. Clinton didn't balance the budget alone. In fact, the dot-com boom caused more revenues to come in than the government had expected. Gingrich cut spending and shut down the government because of disagreements with Clinton on budget issues. Problem in recent years is that when big-spender Bush came to Washington is when budget-cutting Gingrich left. That was a pivetal point in Republican politics.

• Moderators

$8,593,167,161,790.30 That's over 8 TRILLION!!!

That was the figure in the national debt clock.

That is $28,626 for every US citizen.

It is increasing by $2.14 BILLION every single day since 9/06.

The clowns in congress raised the debt limit to 9 TRILLION last March. I don't know why they bother to limit it since it doesn't prevent them from raising it as soon as it is reached.

The deficit-minded economists keep singing the same songs you are singing, Shane, but when the pied piper comes to collect, woe be to us.

Gerry

• Moderators

I read the article. Even the economists are becoming concerned. Economics is not an exact science. What if they are wrong? Some are now concerned about the fact that once you start borrowing money to pay off the interest, you may begin a "debt spiral" that can only end in disaster that is many times the magnitude of all the other economic disasters the USA has ever experienced.

And NOBODY is concerned enough to do anything about it.

Gerry

Quote:
The clowns in congress raised the debt limit to 9 TRILLION last March. I don't know why they bother to limit it since it doesn't prevent them from raising it as soon as it is reached.

Remember Gingrich is the one that shut down the government because he refused to raise the debt limit.

• 1 month later...

Shutting down government is a great idea. It may be the only way to stop the expenditure of money and the oppressive laws that are passed.

The Demos stand for increased government. They like to keep the laws a comin'. But having a close amount of Demos and Republicans is a good idea. That way "gridlock" is the result.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
...and, sadly, if the US economy goes the world economy goes

Not any more.

There is nothing important that the USA supplies that you can't buy from another country, and there are no important that the USA buys that you can't sell to another country.

/Bevin

What drives the world economy is consumption. The US has long driven the world's economy because it has been the largest consumer of world goods. It is now sharing that position with China. That isn't to say a collapse of the economy in the US wouldn't cause a ripple effect througout the world. It simple means that a collapse in the Chinesse economy would cause a simular effect.

It is important for the world economy that both the economies of China and the US remain strong. I don't know much about what the Chinese policies are that are growing it economy but one thing President Bush as managed well is the US economy. Not hard to believe he got his MBA from Harvard. As bad as he has messed up the war in Iraq, he has taken a lemon economy and made lemonaid quite well. From what I understand, Iraq's economy is doing well too.