ClubAdventist is back!

Guilt

Hanseng

Just read an interview with a movie star who expressed her ongoing feelings of guilt for sin committed years before. She had, as a 16-year-old, gotten involved with a married man. His marriage was destroyed. They married and spent years together; nevertheless, she was still plagued by guilt. Guilt is a terrible thing. I suspect it contributes to a lot of alcoholism and other forms of toxic behavior such as suicide.

A caller, who was looking to have guilt absolved, was told "just carry it," by Dr. Laura. People can live with guilt but it's no fun. I once entered a hospital room to find a man over whom a dark cloud hung. I asked him if there was anything I could help him with. "I left my child and wife to be murdered by the Nazis," he said. It was ~ 50 years before but that was the first thing for which he sought help. 

Jesus is the answer. "How much more shall the blood of Christ purge your conscience".... says Hebrews 9:14. For the guilt ridden, having the conscience purged by the blood of Christ is a soul saving experience. There are 7 penitential Psalms, ones that deal with deliverance from personal sin, guilt, and distress. They are Psalms 6, 32,38, 51, 102, 140, and 143. Some speak of the physical distress brought about by sin. Psalm 38:8 speaks of the "disquietness of my heart."

Some people have no conscience and consequently, no guilt. "You have a whore's forehead; you refuse to be ashamed. Guilt and shame are connected to a paucity of the Holy Spirit (Jer. 3:3). To live a spirit filled life, a clean conscience by the blood of Christ, is the way. Hebrews 10 is about having a clean conscience. Verses 1& 2 of chapter 1 explain that to be perfect is to have no more conscience of sin. The legal system of sacrifices could never take away sin. The memory of sin lingered. Grace and the blood of Jesus are different. When verse 14 says Jesus has perfected forever those who are sanctified, it is saying that the sanctified, those who have had their conscience purged by Christ's blood, shall never face their sin again.