ClubAdventist is back!

Last Generation Theology

Gregory Matthews

• 5 months later...

I was about 22 years old when I read the Sanctuary Service by M L Andreasen. His chapter on the final generation seemed to make sense. Over the years as I began to study it out just using the Bible I realized that for such a so called important topic I could not find one Bible writer that dealt with the topic in their narrative. 

• Moderators

Seventh-day Adventism has two different "Last Generation Theologies" One which is very popular among our members and different so called "Historic Adventist" groups, including the understanding/teaching of M. L. Andreasen. This view sees the last generation reaching a different quality of perfection from any other generation, with the possible exceptions of Jesus, Elijah and Enoch. Also they tend to hold to a Greek understanding of perfection. There are at least some in this group who sees us as sinners because we perform the act of committing sins, and that perfection is no longer being a sinner for no longer committing sins. 

The second view is not too popular in the church, but if you do a full reading from Mrs. White, you find her teaching this second view. For Mrs. White the last generation perfection is not a difference in quality as the popular view teaches, but she sees it as a difference in quantity, She sees every generation as having had a few people who have come to totally trust Jesus so that nothing can shake their faith. Some of our scholars have independently from each other noticed that, while she does not name names, her description is the same as how people had described John Wesley. I've also noticed similarities to the Norwegian religious figure Hans Nielsen Hauge. Her understanding of the last generation perfection is that many more reach the same trusting in Jesus that some of every generation has reached. Also, it's been pointed out that she does not use the Greek view of perfection, but a more eastern, especially Hebrew view where instead of a uniformed perfection, that it is being where they should be at their state of growth. Let's take a fruit tree for example: in early spring it is perfect for them to have buds. Then a little later leaves, and then blossoms, then the blossoms forming the early stage of fruit, continues to mature over the summer and early fall.  In her view, we are sinners because we have the sinful nature. I think that she gives an excellent description of the sinful nature in her quote "There is in man a disposition to esteem himself more highly than his breatheren, to serve self, to seek the highest place and often this results in bitterness of spirit." Just because we become aware of this and examine ourselves to choose against this, it does not mean that we are not still sinners. Even our best is tainted with selfishness. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Over the years I have discovered a number of topics that are all inter related but each has raised my understanding of the gospel. I am sure that some of these may stir some conflict but I have no desire to argue with anyone. I would like to share and see if there is something I have not considered or am in error on. If any one wishes to discuss any of these I would be pleased to do so.

One of these is that I believe that John 3:16 was fulfilled in eden. "As soon as there was sin there was a savior"

Another is what does the bible teach about being born again.  1John 3:9 Has been a topic of some discussion in my experience. "If we consent he will so identify himself with our thoughts and aims, so blend our hearts and minds into conformity to his will that when obeying him we shall be but carrying out our own impulses...When we know God as it is our privilege to know Him, our life will be a life of continual obedience." DA 668

Thank you for any consideration

leroy

• Moderators
On 2/10/2024 at 7:12 AM, Leroy Monty Myers said:

One of these is that I believe that John 3:16 was fulfilled in eden. "As soon as there was sin there was a savior"

In his outstanding commentary, Jacques Doukhan points out that the "HE" in Genesis 3:16 is NOT "he" the husband, but the promised "He" of Genesis 3:15. That the promised "He" was not merely a hope for the future, but "HE" was already there.