ClubAdventist is back!

Stop Misusing Jeremiah 29:11 and Understand the Real Meaning of 'For I Know the Plans I Have for You'

phkrause

• Members

Have you ever wondered about this verse in Jeremiah? Here's one perspective:

What Does It Mean That God Knows the Plans He Has for Us?

In the context of Jeremiah 29, the phrase, “I know the plans I have for you,” refers to the plans the Lord has had for the people of Israel from the beginning. This verse is a reiteration of the promises of God, as well as the guarantee that He always keeps His covenants.

https://www.crosswalk.com/faith/bible-study/the-beautiful-context-of-jeremiah-29-11-for-i-know-the-plans-i-have-for-you.html?

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
In the Seventh-day Adventist Bible Commentary there is an excellent essay in Volume 4 titled "The Role of Israel in Old Testament Prophecy" In college every Bible class required a fresh reading and fresh paper on this chapter. While this chapter gives a Macro view, our classes took a micro view to the portion we were studying. God gave the prophecies with the possibility to be fulfilled in that generation or not too long into the future. Even the 2300 evenings and mornings were given in a year that happened to contain the date that was 2300 literal days from Belshazzar's feast. But it uses cyclic language and we find the Hebrew Cycles in Leviticus and Deuteronomy, based on the week of 6 days and the Sabbath, 6 months and the Passover/Day of Atonement, 6 years and the Sabbatical year (and in Leviticus, but not Deuteronomy, and Daniel is based on Deuteronomy: 6 Sabbatical years and the Jubilee.) Thus Daniel 8:14 could be understood as 2300 days, months or y ears.

While sadly my memory of the essay seems to close with some attempt at replacement theology; from both the essay and the classes, we find that God was offering the Hebrews two ways to bring the gospel to the world.
The first I call "Land Theology" or "Land Eschatology" This piece of property was quite literally the center of the ancient world. This was THE major intersection for the great trade routes connecting Europe, Asia, Africa, and Arabia. I won't go into detail here, but the plants, animals, geography and weather features of these 4 places met and competed here. This competition is what the Bible means when describing the land as a land flowing with milk and honey.

In trying to deal with the competition of all these in the land of milk and honey (If you don't mind being a little grossed out I'll give more information below) the Canaanites formed some very dangerous superstitions; at least one of which made this most important intersection one of, if not the most dangerous place on earth.
The Hebrews were to make this safe for world trade. They were to live faithfully, trust in the God of both milk and honey to deal with the above listed competitions, and the caravans were to talk about these people who superficially seemed anti-religious. On the one hand they all wore clothes with tassels that included one blue thread (the sign that someone was a priest). They had a place or places to "worship" but they did not have any gods/images. What a sacrilege. While grateful for the safety, the world would hear stories and expect the offended gods to vent their wrath on these people.

But surprise, surprise, instead of the gods venting their wrath at these people, these people are to be blessed. The caravans were to carry these stories to the farthest parts of the world. Others would want to know why they were blessed.

As people tried to learn why they are blessed they were to be welcomed and learn that these people were not anti-religious, but worshipers of the true God who does not need all the ritual that the pagans used, but a simple common sense religion, and a God too great to be in an image.

As this message spread through the world, nations would join with them, others not believing them reject the message and the world would end in a great eschatological war, in which the individuals on both sides who did not individually reject this God would survive.

If the Hebrews were not faithful, God would send curses to encourage them to repent. If nothing else worked, they would be sent into exile. In exile they were to share with their neighbors their unfaithfulness and God's faithfulness. And if faithful the exile would end in a second great exodus lead by the messiah.
Thus, Land Theology/Eschatology is stay faithful in the land and let the caravans carry the gospel to the world. And Exile Theology/Eschatology is "Go ye into all the world and spread the gospel.
After Babylon there was a return to 70 weeks of years of land theology. But then we went back under exile theology. We are spread through out the world to share the gospel and we will go home in a second great exodus lead by the Messiah to our true home in heaven.

The Dispensationalists do not see this. They keep ignoring the "If's" in the Bible. They want the Jews to be back in the land so that the church can be removed (raptured) and the Jews suffer in last day events.

We can care about both sides in this issue as humans. Even though located in this geographical space, ever since the days of navigation, then air transport and electronic transport, the conditions required for land eschatology cannot be met. It is no longer the center of the world and no longer the caravans to carry the gospel to the world. Thus even in this land, the faithful, Christians, Jews, I even believe that there are faithful Muslims, are still to witness and live under the framework that the Bible gives for exile theology. Thus we are not looking for any "get the land" ideas for us to care about these people, but to care about them because they are humans, and that they are the caretakers of this important location in understanding the Bible. We don't care about them for bringing about the "rapture" we care for them for being our brothers and sisters in the Lord.
By the way, if you think God is through with the Jew, may I encourage you to read anything by Abraham Joshua Heshel, or the artwork by Marc Chagall, or at least read the book "This is My God" by Herman Wouk, God is working with all his faithful, Jew and Gentile alike by us sharing what God has done for us, in the framework of exile theology, share with our neighbors our God and wait for the exile to end when we see "HIM" coming in the clouds of heaven to bring us home. In the mean time, we will submit to God's plans for the Hebrews, natural and grafted in, as He works through more and more of us as he worked through Paul, Luther, Roger Williams, Abraham Joshua Heshel, Herman Wouk and Marc Chagall. People like Heshel and Chagall are examples of what we are going to see in many Jews as we all share the gospel. 
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Kevin H said:

The Dispensationalists do not see this. They keep ignoring the "If's" in the Bible. They want the Jews to be back in the land so that the church can be removed (raptured) and the Jews suffer in last day events.

Wow. I never thought about that. The way you expressed it is an eye opener. All of the Dispensationalists I have read on forums are elated that they will not have to pass through any tribulation. 

• Like 3

On 9/26/2023 at 1:03 PM, phkrause said:

Have you ever wondered about this verse in Jeremiah? Here's one perspective:

What Does It Mean That God Knows the Plans He Has for Us?

In the context of Jeremiah 29, the phrase, “I know the plans I have for you,” refers to the plans the Lord has had for the people of Israel from the beginning. This verse is a reiteration of the promises of God, as well as the guarantee that He always keeps His covenants.

https://www.crosswalk.com/faith/bible-study/the-beautiful-context-of-jeremiah-29-11-for-i-know-the-plans-i-have-for-you.html?

In agreement with that as well as Theophilus's comment about Dispensationalists - LOL!

Now would be a good time to remember God's best Promise of all after our 1st Parents sinned. 

Isaiah 35, 3-10 

Jeremiah indeed says God Himself would come and Save us - there was never any possibility of failure in God's purpose. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Paul's prophecy for the last days, includes the "son of perdition." 

2 Thessalonians 2:3 Let no one deceive you in any way; for that day will not come unless the rebellion comes first and the lawless one is revealed, the one destined for destruction. 4 He opposes and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, declaring himself to be God.  (NRS)

The only human being ever allowed to "sit" within the Temple Court, was the anointed son of David.   The King.

If the "lawless one" (son of peridtion) will SIT "in the temple of God," is this prophecy not telling us who that "son of perdition" will claim to be?    Yes.   The Messiah/King of Israel.  

And how will this son of perdition be able to "sit in the Temple of God," unless there IS a Temple restored on the Mount?

Or at least a Tabernacle set up. 

I have wondered if the "anointed one" who is "cut off" mid-week, might refer to the "anointed" High Priest of a Tabernacle/Temple on "the Mount." 

8thdaypriest

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2023 at 10:44 PM, Kevin H said:

The situation developing in the Middle East, is setting up Satan's greatest deception - a dramatic takeover of Israel, and the whole world. 

The Evil One is using the Jews to bring about his great deception.   Events will SEEM to fulfill every prophecy.  

1.  "Return" Jews to "the land."   Make this happen by barring them from immigrating to any other nation.   

2.  Call that land "Israel" [instead of Judah].  

3.  Surround "Israel" with enemies bent on their annihilation.   Do this through the lie that is Islam.  

Jay Smith lectures on You Tube.  He goes in to the evidence that Islam  was entirely invented by a war lord wanting to gather supporters.   

4.  Trigger a great war, with all the enemies attacking Israel.  

5.  See to it that a missal explodes on the Dome of the Rock, to make way for a third Temple to be built.   

6.  Miraculously "save" Israel from her enemies, and wipe out most of her enemies.  

7.  After a Tabernacle is set up on the Mount, and sacrifices restored, then build a third Temple.  Should take 3.5 years to build. 

Once the Temple is built, then take over that Temple .  Claim to be the messiah figure for every religion. 

When the priests object, kill them.  The High Priest was an "anointed one."   Per Daniel 7, an "anointed one" must be "cut off" mid-week.   

Then rule the world for 3.5 years.  Every nation, kindred, tongue and people will worship (serve) this Little Horn/"eighth head".  

Notice, in Revelation 13:11, the second "beast" comes up "out of the earth."  It comes up out of "the land" - the promised land, where "Israel" is today. 

That second "beast" causes the earth and those who dwell in it to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed.  The second "beast" "makes fire come down from heaven on the land."  The second beast causes mankind to "make an image to the beast."  He is granted power to give breath to the image of the beast, so that the image could both speak, and cause as many as would not worship the image of the beast to be killed.  He sets up the "mark" and the no buy or sell system, without "the mark."   The second "beast" sets up this "image" right IN the Temple of God.  

The "abomination of desolation" will stand in "the holy place."  

And WHERE is the Temple of God?  Yes.  In Israel.    

Only with AI, and instant world communication and monitoring, and control of banking systems, could the scenario described in Revelation Chapter 13, become reality for those living in the final days (3.5 years).  

See my study "The Little Horn."

https://www.prophecyviewpoint.com/htdocs/The Little Horn.htm

8thdaypriest

• Members

Sorry but there is no need for a third temple!!

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}