ClubAdventist is back!

SDA Military Service

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

SDAs and military service: The following is a 51-minute video by Bill Cork of the North American Division that explores the history of the SDA Church and its relation to military service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_8oRnWsimY

Personal note: I consider Bill Cork to be a close personal friend. In researching the above, I discovered that the above video is only one of a number posted in the Internet related to the SDA Church. You may want to view some of those. Due to its already 51-minute length, Bill was probably unable to add additional material that I wish had been added. In his mention of the SDA Church under Hitler, I would have liked for him to mention the responsibility that what became the SDA Reform Movement had for the SDA support of Hitler. Another subject that he was unable to address was how the SDA Church came to support SDA clergy serving as military chaplains.

Gregory

I wish I had the time to watch the video.  Maybe another day.  I support Adventists joining the military in non-combat roles.  I don't think one can join as a conscientious objector or non-combatant but one can choose a job that will dramatically decrease the chances of being combat.  My son is considering joining the Navy as a diesel mechanic.  My daughter wanted to join as a medical technician but she has prediabetes which makes it difficult.  Now she is looking at joining AmeriCorps.  I fully support civic service when a person is young.  I served in the Army National Guard. 

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Moderators

I will make a couple of comments on Shane's post.

*  During the time that the U.S. had a draft, people were classified into three categories:

1-A:  No restrictions, fully served in an armed capacity.

1-AO:  Fully served, but not with a weapon.

1-O:  Did not serve in the military.  Served in a civilian capacity.

*  The function of the U.S. military is to go into combat.  All members of the U.S. military can expect to serve in a combat position, and go into combat if the President sends the military into combat.

*  The U.S. military has the authority to allow someone to enlist who takes the 1-AO position.  However, at the present time, with one exception, none of the U.S. military will allow someone to initially enlist (or become a commissioned officer) who takes the 1-AO position.   IOW, it can be done, but it is not being done.

*  As the one exception, Clergy can become U. S. military chaplains who take the 1-AO position.   I took that position.  I served 20 years on active duty and additional time in a Reserve unit and in a National Guard unit.  At all times in was formally in the 1-AO category.

NOTE:  The U.S. military may allow someone who has initially come on active duty in the 1-A position to later change to the 1-AO position and remain on active duty.

Gregory

• Members
11 hours ago, Gregory Matthews said:

The U.S. military has the authority to allow someone to enlist who takes the 1-AO position.

When I was in the army, '66-'68, we had a few guys that had joined with this statis!!

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Moderators

They were probably either drafted, or they obtained it after they had enlisted and served for a while.

Gregory

• Members
22 hours ago, Gregory Matthews said:

They were probably either drafted, or they obtained it after they had enlisted and served for a while.

That could very well be, but I do remember reading something about that, that there was a time during Vietnam that they were in need of more medics, so they allowed joining for a two year term! Oh you know what maybe it was for joining that they allowed a 2 year term instead of having to join for a 3 year term and not for being 1-AO status??

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}