ClubAdventist is back!

Season 3 Episode 3 Step-Dad

Dr. Shane

Joseph was Jesus' step-dad.  There is so much in this episode.  It is one of my favorites in the series thus far.  I appreciate the director of The Chosen brings Joseph into the story at this stage.  Too often we only think of Joseph with the Christmas story but certainly Jesus thought of him and remembered him even after he died.  This episode illustrates the caring relationship a step-father can have with a step-son.  Joseph was dramatically called to be a step-father.  An angel appeared to him in a dream.  In this episode Joseph speaks to the boy Jesus and tells him what an honor it is to be his step-father.  I like the fact the director of The Chosen selected an African-American actor to play the role of Joseph.  It creates a clear contrast that Jesus was not his biological son.  In this episode Joseph gives Jesus a family heirloom.  Now that is not in the Bible but the director uses this to demonstrate the bond between Jesus and Joseph.  Joseph had other sons.  Jesus asked about James and Jude in this episode after arriving for dinner with Mary.  Those other sons would have children and be able to pass the heirloom down.  But the significant of the heirloom is that it was part of the Israelites liberation from Egypt.  Joseph gives it to Jesus knowing it ends with Him.  The bridle will likely be worn by the donkey carrying Jesus into Jerusalem.  It is an added detail that is not in the Bible but is used to show the endearment of Joseph to Jesus.  That is a model relationship for all step-dads that are fathering step-sons.

Many men today are called to be step-dads.  I am among them.  I have a step-son.  I treat him no different than I treat my biological children.  I get along with him better than I do my biological son, but that isn't why I treat him equally.  God calls men to be spiritual leaders.  When a man is called to be a step-dad, there are spiritual responsibilities that come with that.  I am not suggesting any type of authoritarian parenting.  A democratic or authoritative parenting that treats all the children the same is the best model.  I am suggesting that a man invest the time into the relationship that it deserves.  That is what was being illustrated in this episode although such details are not mentioned in the Bible.  

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity